What's new
What's new

Planning To Make My Own Lapping Machine. Any Suggestions?

#5 ii Alive!

Aluminum
Howdy, Everyone. Thanks so much for this amazing forum and all the incredible knowledge here.

I've decided to make my own small lapping machine. I don't need something huge, with a lot of HP, so I don't think this will be too challenging.

I need no larger than an eight-inch disc, and there are a lot of great YT vids on how to make one. Before I do, however, I always like to research and pick brains. If anyone has done this, or know someone who has, or knows of a link or vid that might help, I'd be much obliged.

Below I've pasted a photo of the basic machine I'm trying to copy. This is a benchtop unit that everyone and their mother sells. In fact, it's so ubiquitous that even the dang photo is exactly the same, no matter the name plastered on the front.

Appreciate any suggestions you may have.

lnGLoll.jpg

NO problem. I can figure it out, but I'm not a mechanical whiz kid. Vids and/or written plans, if already posted on a site somewhere, would vastly cut down my learning curve.

Thanks.

Trust me on this one, you need the learning curve.

I have no problem with a learning curve. I'm not sure why you feel the need to keep busting my chops. I came here for help, not resistance. I can get that anywhere.

I belong to a lot of different forums in a lot of different industries, where I help a number of people with suggestions and ideas. I'm determined, single-minded, professional, stubborn, and focused. I WILL do this. But to say, "Look at the picture and figure it out." Really? This is your idea of "help?" People around here have always been amazingly helpful around here. Until now.

Not trying to sound like a dick here, but it's a spinning wheel, attached to a variable speed motor with a set screw arbor, contained in a plastic tub (I found that out by spending less than a minute on the company website). I don't exactly know what you want "us" to help you out with. A parts list? detailed exploded view? Clickable links to every individual part you can order off amazon?

Go the the company website, look at the instruction manual, looks at the pictures on the site. Watch a couple you tube video on how they're operated/maintained. Maybe there's one that shows it disassembled, and you can see the internal components.

You are really overthinking this. Seriously.

Welcome. 60 rpm gear motor from surplus center. Make a base, make an arbor. Or just spend a couple hundred bucks and buy one. Your going to get alot of grief here. It's the way machinists say "hi" and weed out the nonsense.

What is it your planning on lapping, equally thats not exactly what people in this industry call lapping, thats more akin to a grinder.

Lapping is a whole different ball game and your fundamentally not going to make anything overly flat and precise with that as pictured.

But, with the right operator and lots of training, you could probably get a part precisely shiny!:)

What I'm going for is not industrial lapping, but more related to the small benchtop units used in the jewelry industry. I don't need a disc larger than 8 inches in diameter, and I did find some older threads from PM that did go into more detail. There are also a lot of great vids on YT with various approaches. It's all good.

I don't need incredible precision. These would be the kind of laps they use for rock collectors, etc., so don't need a big, powerful unit with tons of HP.

One thing that would help me perhaps would be to find a used AC motor that would be at least two speeds (1750 & 3500 rpm). Some guy found a single-speed motor for $5 he said. Something like that.

Anyway, thanks for your patience and suggestions. I have many fine qualities, but admittedly machining and such are not in my wheelhouse.

Appreciate It,
Number 5

Back