What's new
What's new

Please id. this grinder

reggie_obe

Diamond
Any comment good or bad about the manufacturer?

Excello made flocks of smallish precision machines - mostly production or single purpose jobs - including single end boring , double end boring and thread grinders. In the 50s and 60s, they did make a few "TG" machines which could have been "tool grinders" as this T&C grinder appears to be. Maybe it is one of them.

(per Serial Number Reference Book For Metalworking Machinery)

I own around twenty Excello machines, and have a ton of their literature. They never made a tool and cutter grinder like that one. The grinder pictured looks like a Covel #6. I also have a Covel #6 which is why I can say it looks like it. Too bad it's missing the workhead. He did a lousy job with the pictures. The Covels were mounted on a fabricated stand that's able to hold a ton of tooling. Perhaps there's more tooling in the cabinet.

I looked at the picture again- Absolutely a Covel. Covel was made in Benton Harbor Michigan- Long gone My Covel was the first tool and cutter grinder I bought. I LOVED using it. Pretty small, with the right tools it was really handy. It only made me want a bigger, badder one though, so I bought a completely tooled Cincinnati #2. The Covel actually may have been my VERY FIRST grinder. I now own about THIRTY grinders. Beware

Last edited:

Back