Preferred surface grinder manufacturer - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is the OP looking at a new grinder or used?
    Much or most here is about old and legacy machines.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Do you have the largest collection of active Mattison grinders in the US?
    There is one other shop who has more, I visited them early this summer. But only surface grinder. I have surface and rotary.

But mine by far are the best maintained, in the US easy, and possibly the world.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Delaware
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Carbide Bob,

Good morning. If "OP" means "original poster", than that would be me. If there was a good used machine, that wasn't too old, we would probably entertain that idea. I will say that the company that I work for does like the newer machines, and has a "copy exact" mentality (good or bad). That being said, we have Okamoto machines, so most likely that would weigh in their favor. But, again, if you have a machine that you are looking to move, send me the information; at least, it would be more information on which to aide a decision.

Thanks,
    Mark

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cash call me out if I am wrong on this. There are a number of great old names in surface grinders like Grand rapids/G&L, Thompson, Mattison, Norton to name a few. Likely Cash favored the Mattison for some reason at his start and by sticking with one brand now likely can visualize every nut and bolt so making maintenance and rebuild in his mind with knowing all the key points and where to find or make any needed part, along with his own design for improvements.

Perhaps if fate had led him to Thompson he would/may have a shop full of them. G&L, Norton and Abrasive likely parts would/may not be as easy to find. Landis and colonial had great grinders but made few to no surface grinders. I think Landis made a few SGs but not even enough to add them to their catalog. Brown & Sharpe is likely my favorite and G&l as good or near match, and I ran an old Abrasive that had zero falts.

Familiarity may be good for your shop with the Okamoto. Your guys have the controls down pat and it is a decent machine (if it does in fact have oil in iron ways).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've run about 5 or 6 different Mattisons and a few of the other usual suspects. I really like the Mattisons. They are rock solid, accurate and pretty dang reliable, especially if they're maintained.

6. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my first trip to Mattison was back in 1995, I was 20 years old. We were having a 42" rotary rebuilt. Walking thru the machine shop just blew my mind, they had many kinds of old skool machine tools, planer mills, VTL's, boring bars, some were manual, some were CNC. Near the end of the machine shop was their large way grinder, then they had an 84" Rotary grinder. I was able to work with Dick Johnson, he was at Mattison since the late 50's and was their senior person to run off new/rebuilt machines.

I have been around Thompson grinders, they seem nice but I have heard the bases are a bit flimsy. Other than this, as michiganbuck has called it, since I grew up around Mattisons I know them very well, but they are as well solid machines. Even with some design flaws, and sometimes rushed at assembly issues, they are still solid machines and our business relies on them daily.

As mentioned earlier Okamoto grinders are pretty good machines. We have several, the oldest is a 12" x 24" which we bought new in 1997 and runs on a daily basis. we rescraped the table once, replaced the spindle and hydraulic pump and other than that it turns on every day we hit the green button.

Here are some pictures of myself and Sam Zachery, we were putting together my 400S back in 2010, he originally did somce of the final assembly and then installed the machine at Niagara shear back in 1980. It was nice to work with the guys who built the machines and could tell you all the good and bad about them so you know when an issue comes up what the fix is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mattison-grinder-2-.jpg   mattison-400s-2-.jpg  

8. Likes ratbldr427 liked this post
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    As mentioned earlier Okamoto grinders are pretty good machines. We have several, the oldest is a 12" x 24" which we bought new in 1997 and runs on a daily basis. we rescraped the table once, replaced the spindle and hydraulic pump and other than that it turns on every day we hit the green button.
    I'm curious about something. In your shop, I imagine that the machines are maintained very well, with the correct way lubrication and regular filter changes and so on. In that scenario, do the ways still wear significantly? My expectation is that on a well maintained grinder the ways are always separated by an oil film and there is no significant wear. Or do you mean that you reground/rescraped the top surface where the chuck sits?
    Last edited by ballen; 07-09-2021 at 11:29 AM.

10. Likes cash liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    I'm curious about something. In your shop, I imagine that the machines are maintained very well, with the right way lubrication and filter changes and so on. In that scenario, do the ways still wear significantly? My expectation is that on a well maintained grinder the ways are always separated by an oil film and there is no significant wear. Or do you mean that you reground/rescraped the top surface where the chuck sits?
    Lubrication and Machine alignment are key. I have one grinder here, installed in 2003, holds OEM size and ways still look beautiful, it is a 16" x 72" machine. If either one of these factors fail, you will start to see wear. If machine alignment, say on my large grinders the base is out of level or not straight, you will start to see wear on the ways. Lack of oil and contamination are pretty case closed.

From the pictures above, I reveled and re scraped this machine back in 2012. Earlier this year we had to remove the table to do some repairs on the hydraulic cylinders, the ways were in beautiful shape. My large surface grinder I did the same to back in 2017, I hold tenths across the entire table surface of 36" x 168".

As far as grinding chucks, if you need to grind your magnets often, there is something wrong with your machine or you are just beating the crap out of your chucks. For example on my large grinder, I installed new chucks back in 2017, I have not dressed/ground the tops of them since.........

12. Likes ballen, ratbldr427 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT: or you are just beating the crap out of your chucks.
    QT unless you beat up the chuck.
    That is exactly what we did at Cutmore Tool. The work was flat tools and perhaps 70% in carbide so it was very often the carbide side would be on the chuck, with holding 5 parts or 60 parts on the chuck. The wheel often needing to be dressed or roll-form or dressed for surface finish or a tight inside corner, or radius, or angle. Some work was set on angle parallels so error in fixturing considered near zero chuck error was the norm. Re grinding the chuck and back rail might be just dusting off .00025. when I graduated up to short runs on one up and few up with work on a small compound angle plate that angle plate was set on the chuck many times a day so another beating up the chuck. That is where I found moving about the chuck with work and dresser helped keep the chuck truing down. Also using a larger hone stone and getting used to select careful figure 8 honing to a place on the chuck that may have grown .0002 high or low.
    The grinder of choice there was Reid, a Detriot-made decent grinder with having scraped in iron oil long and cross ways. Yes, they also made roller way grinders.
    Last edited by michiganbuck; 07-12-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you have not been over there yet, check out Okamoto's you tube channel. They just posted some new video.

I am liking their double column adjustable rail grinders.......

Okamoto Corporation - YouTube