What's new
What's new

Profiling with a Dressing Roll

Scra99tch

Plastic
Ideally what would a good set of parameters be to traverse dress a thread form that is only about .02” wide at pitch diameter and has about a .004” Theoretical sharp?

Our finer Dr Kaiser roll took the brunt of an exploding wheel and is out of action we have a V form .25mm Radius dressing roll trying to do the same job but the CVD are spaced farther apart.

I have a 500 grit wheel and it is still flaking off chunks.

I also find if I pick the wheel back up out of the tool cradle it seems to be ever so slightly off in its matching length. So what ever form I have gets wiped away.

Right now I am taking .0025mm per pass and roughly 25-35mm feed. Which worked with the other Dr Kaiser roll

Machine is a Haas Multigrind CB.

Thanks

I know little about such things, but are you sure no other damage was done to spindles, tapers, or other parts of the machine(s) during the wheel explosion? That you're not getting good registration is a hint, I think...

I had previously never been able to dress small forms with the larger CVD. Not ruling out other damage.

Forgot to mention I have my wheel balanced and I cannot get better than .0004” runout on my dressing roll. Typical for these rolls on the arbor supplied with machine.

So I am trying something else out that has beefed up my nose radius a bit.

This thread has a helix angle of 57 degrees. Funky things happen after 35 degrees. The profile that is calculated is based off the axial view so when I first calculated, the resulting profile had convex flank angles and a sharp point. I added a little advanced angle to the wheel and voila! I was starting to see a radius form.

So what the machine is doing is trying to minimize the shaving of the wheel coming out of a thread all the while maintaining /2 pitch distance. Just hoping that the new radius holds up a little better as I dress the Norton 39CA500.

I have been able to dress with a Dr Kaiser .1mm radius roll down to .0017" theoretical sharp. It will collapse and wear roughly down to a .0023" T.S.

Back