What's new
What's new

Proth Surface Grinders Experience?

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
Anyone ever dealt with or know anything about Proth surface grinders? ( Taiwan )

Not really looking, but tripped over one today. An eBay listing turned out to be a machinery dealer that is local, and while there picking up some tooling I noticed what looked similar to a B&S Micromaster from behind it, in profile. It's a PSG-2550 from what I can discern. Hydraulic machine with what is likely a semi automatic PLC type control from the Eighties, but caught my eye for the size given the capacity. Is a 10" x 20" machine and occupies barely 48" x 48" footprint, not including the hydraulic tank/motor.

Got to wondering what kind of condition it is actually in and figured I ought to see if anyone knows anything about them before I allow myself to even get curious.

Hi Zahnrad Kopf:
I ran one years ago at a toolroom I worked in (early 1990's).
It was a cheap shit machine then and it's probably still a cheap shit machine now.
It wasn't very accurate, it was clumsy to run and I was unimpressed to say the least.
The head was wimpy for the size of the wheel so you couldn't really grind with it in the way the wheel size implied, the screws were all over the place, and the table motion wasn't very flat even when it was new.

If you need a cheap machine to grind plates and you're not too fussed if they take a long time and have waves and other geometry defects when you're done, you can accept something like this to be your shop beater.
But knowing what I know of you, the kinds of work you do, and the quality of your work, I'd guess you'd be severely disappointed if you had the illusion it was going to be even remotely comparable to an Okamoto or a B&S Micromaster.

My two cents' worth...your mileage may vary!
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

We have a more basic one with reversing switches and like the others have said it is tough to chase any tolerance with it. I have been trying to fix the hydraulic feed for the x-axis for a while but can't get the fine feed under 100 ipm, only just about rapid.

Mike

It's not that we have a pressing need. Rather, with our growth and upcoming move in a few months we will be looking to obtain a larger capacity grinder once we do, so it was the thought of entertaining opportunity if it turned out to be one.

Thank you, Gentlemen. Curiosity firmly squashed. :D

Hi again Zahnrad Kopf.
I have always had a personal hard-on for a 12 x 24 Okamoto.
I've never run one but so far as I know, that's the brand Hermann Schmidt runs and I believe Cash has one too.
Hermann Schmidt makes such fine tools that anything they are happy with I would go with too, and Cash grinds for a living so if he's happy that's a pretty strong endorsement too.

Now that I'm severely downsizing and moving the shop, I have to give up that aspiration, but YOU could take up that dream and have one instead, and I could be envious as Hell.
BTW, and on a somewhat unrelated note; if you do upsize, will you still consider eventually letting go of the Taft Peirce?
If you do, I'm still very interested, even though it will be a bit of a squeeze in my 1100 square feet of new space!
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Hi Marcus,

You are correct. Cash has a number of the Okamotos. For a long time, I was under the impression that they were largely disposable machines, built to sell, use, and scrap in short order. I'm starting to think otherwise. We have spoken about this recently and Cash related that several of his Okamotos have run for two shifts, for years now, grinding everything under the sun and moon. As you point out, combined with the Schmidt connection is a fairly strong endorsement if ever there was one.

I guess I need to open my scope a bit...

And yes. :) The TaftPeirce No.1 is still considered yours, if you desire it. I really love that machine and its certainly been a work horse for us. ( especially lately ) It's made several appearances in our Instagram feed lately in testament to that. But we really need to have a larger capacity envelope for the work we have been taking in. So, I'm pretty sure that 2019 is the year that Canada gets 1000 Kg heavier. :)

Back