What's new
What's new

Quorn molesters unite! Modding a Quorn for an air spindle.

evildrome

Plastic
Hi All,

So I wanted to grind small points with better accuracy than the standard Quorn work holding equipment allows.

So, I made an air spindle from a standard ER11-16-100 collet chuck and a chunk of brass.

8B393147-8446-45EA-A22D-AF9CE85F27FFL0001.jpg

I made it to fit the Quorn work head clamp arrangement but I did have to drill and tap that for a 6mm air fitting.

IMG_7436.jpg

IMG_7437.jpg

That's it fitted.

IMG_7511.jpg

But at that point (no pun intended) I really need to arrange things so that the spindle is falling down onto the wheel under its own weight.

And that meant some radical re-arrangement...

Using the air spindle to grind a point. - YouTube

I think I could get an ER20 collet holder fitted the same way so I may try that next.

Cheers,

Wilson.

Attachments

• IMG_7435.jpg
    IMG_7435.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 72
Hi evildrome:
I checked out your device with interest...it's a neat project and I like the ingenuity you put into it.

Just how good are your points?
How are you measuring "good"?

I ask because I can make a pretty good point on a carbide blank just using a standard spin fixture in my surface grinder...micron level roundness, a true flat sided cone, and as concentric as I care to set it up to.
With a 600 grit wheel it looks beautiful to the naked eye but under the microscope it looks like a battlefield (like everything does under the scope).

So let us know: how good is good?
Runout and roundness figures please.
Also a photo of the surface finish under magnification.

I do applaud your ingenuity...you built a cool device indeed!

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Back