What's new
What's new

Recommendations on useful texts

Damien W

Stainless
The books/booklets available to me are as follows :-

The A-B-C of OD Grinding, 25th printing, May, 1966 by Norton International.

Handbook on Grinding and Grinding Wheels, third edition, 1963 published by Australian Abrasives.

Handbook on Grinding by Norton Abrasives Australia. This 96 page booklet is out of print. No publication date is obvious on the photocopied version sent to me from Norton free of charge. Correction, it says effective December, 1992

Precision Grinding Techniques, a Primer, issued free by Jones and Shipman, Leicester, England. An 88 page booklet with no publication date. This firm still operates out of Leicester and continues to make cylindrical and surface grinders mostly CNC controlled.

Making the most of our Clarkson Grinder, 6th edition, March, 1971 by Clarkson International Tools. Their t & c grinder is mainly meant to support their range of milling cutters of which I have a range of shell end mills of the dedlock variety not to mention their brilliant but expensive collet chucks and normal threaded shank end mills and slot drills.

And finally, Cincinnati No.2 Cutter and Tool Grinder, operator's instruction book published in 1942 and still in good condition.

Apart from general engineering texts and Machinery's Handbook these booklets are my main source of information.

Can members active and lurking add their list of priceless resources to this so that we can all be better informed. Thank you.

I have a copy of Grinding Technology, Second Edition by Steve Krar.

It has reasonably good coverage of all forms of grinding, but I was somewhat disappointed with it after the recommendations I had seen for it. It's a good primer. But I would like a more advanced/detailed exposition.

"Grinding Machine Operations" by Richard Kibbe, John Wiley & Sons, 1985. Covers the basics of cylindrical, centerless, T&C, and surface grinding.

"Machine Shop Practice" by Moltrecht has a chapter or two on basic grinding operations. I mention this one because Moltrecht is a pretty common reference.

A few more references of texts dealing with grinding processes are as follows :-

Technology of Machine Tools by Steve F. Krar and J. William Oswald, 4th edition, Glencoe Macmillan/McGraw-Hill, ISBN 0-07-035563-0

Fitting and Machining, General Editor Ron Culley, 1988, TAFE Publications, Victoria, Australia. Used widely in Australia as a text in mechanical engineering apprentice training. It has a detailed section on tool and cutter grinding. This book is unlikely to have a wide distribution outside Australia or within Australia for that matter.

Grinding machines and their wheels, Australian Government Publishing Service, 1974, out of print. My copy is a photocopy. 78 pages of good general information. Again not produced in great numbers.

Fitting and Machining, Trade Theory, Lecture 46, Cylindrical Grinding Machines, Department of Railways, New South Wales Railways Institute. Again my copy is a photocopy of part of a volume in a series of training texts for NSW railway apprentices. Although the quality is poor, appearing to be reproduced typewriter rather than printing quality appearance, the content seems quite good. These tomes might even approach a rare classification if there was any interest in them.

I have a copy of a grinding coarse (in Dutch) dedicated to the AI hembrug U2 universal grinder. This machine resembles A cincinnatti #2 very much.
It gives various examples on how to ID-, OD-, flat-, taper- and toolgrind.
at each item it describes the toolsetup, infeed, wheeltype, speed, where to measure and which steps to take. Very basic and very thorough a (just like the MTR, every step is described)

The other copy I have is about toolgrinding setups on a schuette grinder. It only lists the tooling to use and has a picture of the setup. (german)

The covers can be seen here

My favorite is "The Grinding Wheel", a textbook of modern grinding practice, by Kenneth B. Lewis. C 1951, but almost all the information is as revelent today as it was when it was published.

"Grinding Machine Operations" by Richard Kibbe, John Wiley & Sons, 1985. Covers the basics of cylindrical, centerless, T&C, and surface grinding.

Excellent suggestion. Just got it. Haven't had a lot of time to read it, but what I see so far looks to be very useful for someone who doesn't have a clue on this stuff to begin with.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Kyle

Kyle would you post again when you are more familiar with that text?

What I am hoping is that you can tell me that the book will lead the beginner through the general processes and tasks expected for the grinding machine.

Unfortunately your opinion will be based on your experience, knowledge etc and can't be tempered with the books I have access to but never the less I might go looking for that book if you like it.

I'm almost inclined to ask Milacron if I can post multiple pages of out of print local training manuals. I know we are restricted to 4 pictures these days.

Back