What's new
What's new

REID 618V power feed motor reversal via VFD control

DanBrub

Aluminum
Picked 618VL in amazingly good condition at auction but my shop is 220v single phase. I run lathe, mill, drill press, and bandsaw using vfd mostly for motor speed control benefits otherwise would probably have invested in RPC by now. The 618 has a power feed geared motor that runs low rpm. The table x-axis control uses a reversing switch and solenoid driven contactors that reverse 2 legs of the 3ph power to the motor thus reversing the motor direction and thereby the table feed direction. I think I can use the reversing switch as input to the vfd to reverse the motor but have a couple questions to you smart folks in forum land.

1. With a vfd be “happy” reversing a motor constantly?
2. Any recommendations on accel/deceleration ramp settings, I.e. should I make it start and stop “quickly” during each reverse or more gently?

Thx. Dan

1. With a vfd be “happy” reversing a motor constantly?

Yes there are probably 1000's of VFD's in industry doing that right now

2. Any recommendations on accel/deceleration ramp settings, I.e. should I make it start and stop “quickly” during each reverse or more gently?

I would set it up with a slow Acc /deceleration ramp at first and run it without doing any grinding to see how it looks, you will want the table at a constant velocity whenever the mag chuck is under the grinding wheel i.e. the table will need to have already reached the its max speed that point.

Once you are happy that its not too slow or stupidly fast you can then play around to see what gives you the best finish.

Back