Removing 4mm thick brake plates from magnetic chuck of a ring grinder
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Removing 4mm thick brake plates from magnetic chuck of a ring grinder

Hi
    I have a ring grinder and after grinding the 4 mm thick plates I cannot get the electro magnetic chuck to release the part.
    The thinner plates vary in size from around 400mm x ID 200mm up to 650mm x ID 550.
    Even if I turn the machine off and leave them overnight they still not come off.
    I have no problem with removing larger heavier parts, just reverse the polarity for a couple seconds while hanging onto the part and off it comes.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Best Regards
    Burgs

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lay a piece of clean, dry, unused paper between your ring and the magnetic chuck. Copy or tablet paper will do fine. The ring will be parallel within a couple of tenths if the paper is not wrinkled.
    Gene

3. Likes cash, michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

use your air gun and blow at the edge of the part. This may help to release it.

I assume normally your magnet releases parts just fine? but these are coming very flay and "wringing" to the chuck?

5. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have set-on plates and parallels with serrations so I can grind them for a very fussy job so not needing to grind the chuck. Perhaps such plates could be made so one might put a wedge under the part / or that they could not ring the chuck. Agree one does loose some hold doing this.

The serrations allow grinding with less worry about stress and heat when a tickle grind is made to them, perhaps .0005 to .003 take.

Yes I made them for working at the big shop where I might have to set work on a questionable grinder chuck.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi
    Thanks for the reply's, paper workedI used my wife's cooking paper 0.06mm Thick, tried A3 paper but coolant destroyed it.

Just need to place a bit of 4 X 2 wood, on the inside of the plate, pull hard against it, reverse the polarity, and turn it off and I can slide the plate from there, only need a about 50mm movement then I can pick the plate up with an indicator magnet.
    Good thing is the paper also stops the plates from scratching.
    Normally I grind bigger heavier cast iron housings and pistons, these release fairly easily, just need to have a hand on and pull them when reversing the polarity, and off they come.

Now I have a bigger problem, couldn't get a decent finish, and noticed the spindle was a bit noisy so stripped down and checked the spindle bearings, one of the four felt rough, so have stripped down ready for new spindle bearings, looks like $450 au each, ouch.

Best Regards
    Burgs

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What make of ring grinder do you have ?

Regards Tyrone.