What's new
What's new

Removing Wheel Guard Supertec 2040NC Surface Grinder

markp

Hot Rolled
Installing this grinder. In good shape except for the wheel guard. Was being used to grind big sapphire ballistic windows for the DoD for a short time so no coolant, water only. This rusted the wheel guard pretty badly. I got a quote for a new guard that is pretty cheap but was thinking about just repainting.

Cant figure out how to remove the guard though. Looking at the parts diagram, it seems like I'd have to disassemble the spindle to get to bolts attaching it from behind. But this is not the exact parts diagram for this machine, just a similar model.

Wondering if that black steel disc can be unscrewed and the guard will come off. If the guard is tapped on the corners, it can pivot a degree or two. So it seems like its not bolted on this model. Also, looking at the single small hole in the disc, there is some structure inside there.

Anyone ever take one of these apart?

Attachments

• supertec.jpg
    supertec.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 164
  • supertec2.jpg
    supertec2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 177
  • supertec3.jpg
    supertec3.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 123
  • supertec4.jpg
    supertec4.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 102
Ok, figured it out. The two light colored spots at 180 degrees were silicone spots. I thought they were the tops of screws coming from the inside. Dug it out and they were threaded holes. These are puller holes, the very rusty disk is silicone sealed to the front of the spindle carrier. Once removed, (wasnt rusted on!!)Then the screws holding the guard on are visible. This is a Taiwan grinder, so likely the same system is used on some of the bigger kent/chevalier etc grinders.

Attachments

• supertecoff.jpg
    supertecoff.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 112

Back