Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    Seller is asking $500 for Pierce T&C grinder, I suspect they would take less, tried to copy the pic to post here but it is not working, machine looks complete, but not sure if it should have attachments, I see none in pics. Having someone teach me how to use it would be best, I'm a quick learner that way, but sometimes you have to muddle through written instructions and just figure it out.
    Even a dab hand needs TIME to do the do, has to invest in wheels, dressers, and alignment fixturing, too. Major diversion, any of that, from "revenue work" OR the always-scarce hours of even a retiree/hobbyist's day. Most especially if it is only once in a while.

Too many useful gadgets? Too little time.

Class it as a newer, previously not covered, form of interesting time-burner?
    I'm actually good with that. Whole damned shop here has no other "real" purpose.

Just don't "rationalize" it as much of anything else off the back of a hundred bucks a year worth of endmills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The machine I am looking at looks like this machine, only difference I see is that the one I am looking at is missing the knob for the spin indexer.
    Pierce Machine Tool Company Model GA Tool & Cutter Grinder S/N 139 ( Inventory Number 3773 )

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    The machine I am looking at looks like this machine, only difference I see is that the one I am looking at is missing the knob for the spin indexer.
    Pierce Machine Tool Company Model GA Tool & Cutter Grinder S/N 139 ( Inventory Number 3773 )
    Deckel-Alexander-Gorton//Lars - "type" - and of late, even Asian copies, that one.

Good at what it does. Very.

Nowhere near the flexibility of a Cinncy #2 or K.O. Lee, let alone a Royal Oak or Oliver of Adrian.

OTOH, it won't take as long to master and get useful work out of, nor cost much for infrastructure it cannot even use.

Good price, too. Twice that is common.

Similar type is on my RTWL ('round tuit wish list) as well. I'd say grab it and growl!

You do know how to make that missing knob already, yah?

4. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I will see if the company will release the carbide buyers name monday. Ours were punches and ring of known composition. Not sure if coating will make a difference.
    Dave
    I'd sure like to know as that price is up there quite a bit.
    I smell something special about this deal.

Before others get too excited with a few coffee cans or even a 55 gallon drum understand that the higher price buyers usually won't take anything under a 2-4 tons in a lot and it has to be sorted by carbide grade.
    People in the middle sort and accumulate the large batches needed and that is how they make money. They buy small lots and pray the market will hold.
    I have only seen 20 a few times in my life and it was very specific and lasted days.
    Any coating generally lowers the value as you need to strip it adding money on the recycle end.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Same here if i want to buy a end mill face to face i would have a 2 1/2 hour drive. I deal with it the same way i do loo roll i plan ahead and hold stocks, might not be 5S but it sure beats wiping your ass with your hand, oh sorry cutting your slot with a file. Probaly have a few hundred new - part used cutters, but its the same with any consumable i use, i buy spares and just stock them. After working places that had maybe 2 dozen milling cutters and you had to beg the boss for a whole box of inserts i kinda just go the other way now. Hell must have nearly 1K inserts. If its a grade i like in a size i use and its a good price i buy em.

I have toyed with sharpening them, but IMHO its just not worth it, yeah i grind drills, but it takes me less than a minute to sharpen one, with a end mill, i cant imagine doing it in less than 5 minutes on a surface grinder just for the ends and then theres the flutes + the complexity of the angles and i prefer coated, hence to me its more viable to just use em and toss em and make sure there’s always another 2-3 sitting there. Most suppliers do free delivery if you spend enough, hence haveing some stock works out cheaper at least for me.

7. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post