What's new
What's new

Rotory surface grinding ( Blanchard ) question

sash1ca35

Plastic
I have some plates (low carbon 1020 1040) that I need ground. There is 1/4" stock to grind off, my question is how long would each plate take to grind. Plate size is 50" x 40" x 3 1/4". I'm thinking to mill off the 1/4" but don't want to take up valuable mill time. Thank you

I have some plates (low carbon 1020 1040) that I need ground. There is 1/4" stock to grind off, my question is how long would each plate take to grind. Plate size is 50" x 40" x 3 1/4". I'm thinking to mill off the 1/4" but don't want to take up valuable mill time. Thank you
never heard of more than .005" at a time and you need coarse wheel to go fast but i am not a expert. i could be totally wrong

What size is your supplier's Blanchard? Thats gravy work for a big machine, much faster than milling.

As you most likely know,milling that material off is going to be a huge pain in the Fing ass and finish will most likely look like shit.
I used to grind a full table load of parts on a 36"? grinder. Keep in mind this was 30 years ago but best I remember, the down feed would click down .001" at a time pretty damn quick.
And this was on an worn out POS.

Get the quote, you will be surprised. Either way, its going to cost some dollars to get that 1/4 off.

Definitely a blanchard job. Nice thing about that thickness is the magnet isn't going to pull it out of shape, so one side to cleanup, one flip and hog away to size. A 120" blanchard could take 2 plates at a time (4 if they're willing to overhang the corners a few inches).

It's the thin stuff that is a PITA, flipping and shimming, etc.

At least that's my experience, I sold my blanchard a few years ago.

For future reference a few variables apply here,type of segment,thickness to start ,downfeed,and table speed,and plate dim.but on an average with all purpose seg.015-.020 per .100 downfeed.if .008-012 per min you can estimate time.

For future reference a few variables apply here,type of segment,thickness to start ,downfeed,and table speed,and plate dim.but on an average with all purpose seg.015-.020 per .100 downfeed.if .008-012 per min you can estimate time.

Tymkypr, did you notice this thread is 4 years old? In the other one you wrote in was also an old one. Check out the top right side of posts. You mat get better results if you start a new thread.

I don't think he needed to start a new thread for this post. That is good info for estimating grinding time and it added to the information already contained here.

Back