What's new
What's new

Rubber Wheel Washers (Blotters)

JohnnyJohnsoninWI

Hot Rolled
Five years ago, I purchased a new Victor T&C grinder (a Cinci #2 copy). The grinding wheel arbors all came with rubber washers which you use against the wheel. The washer is approximatley 0.05" thick and the same diamter as the arbor nut. I mount the wheel on the arbor in the the following order: begin with the wheel arbor, grinding wheel with a paper blotter on each side, rubber washer, steel shim with anti-rotation tab, arbor nut.

Does any one have an opinion of these rubber washers? I've never seen them mentioned on this forum. Occasionally, I get some vibration (primarily due to the wrong wheel/steel combination leading to wheel loading) but wonder if it would be less likely to vibrate without the rubber washer.

The obvious answer is to try it myself. Unfortunately, without the washer, I can't quite tighten the 1/4" wheels that I use. So, I ask for your opinion before ording a new arbor just to try it.

Thanks,
John

John, I have never seen the blotters you are referring to. Could you try it by just stacking up some paper blotters unitl you reach the thickness you require to tighten? -Mike

That's a good idea.

Hi Mike,
I was also thinking about procuring a precision ground washer to replace the rubber.

Actually, it works fine, as is, most of the time. I usually only think about it when I'm struggling to sharpen a batch of slitter blades made of D2. As soon as I finish them, I stop thinking about it.

Thanks,
John

Hi Mike,

Actually, it works fine, as is, most of the time. I usually only think about it when I'm struggling to sharpen a batch of slitter blades made of D2. As soon as I finish them, I stop thinking about it.

Thanks,
John

:D:D:D That reminds me of forgetting a leaking roof when it's not raining...

I have also never seen a rubber washer used in clamping a grinding wheel on a surface grinder. Don't have enough experience with a T&C grinder to know about them. I guess it's theoretically possible for the rubber to allow the wheel to bounce if not clamped pretty tight, but I doubt it. I would suspect it's more due to lack of rigidity in the machine.

I got hold of a 12x18x1/8" piece of Viton rubber today. Partly in order to make a replacement for a broken shower valve. Since I've got some cutting off disks that didn't come with blotters, I think I'll try making a pair of reusable rubber blotters and see what they're like:)

be sure to use a thin metal shim

Hi Mark,
Use a thin metal shim washer (the kind with a tab to keep from turning) between the rubber blotter and the arbor nut. Otherwise the nut will tend to grab the rubber and won't tighten properly. I think it will work well for you.

I also suspect that my vibration issues are primarily due to wheel loading and lack of rigidity of the machine and set-up, but wanted to see if any one else had experience with the rubber blotters.

Take care,
John

Back