What's new
What's new

Sanford MG-612 Surface Grinder

dougesch

Plastic
I recently purchased a Sanford MG-612 surface grinder. I have found some information on the www about these grinders, flyers and such.
Would like to hear from anyone using one of these grinders or perhaps has used one in the past. I am currently disassembling the entire grinder for reconditioning and painting.
I got lucky, the spindle is quiet and tight and the ways have worn little. I am missing the wheel guard cover, vacuum attachment and swarf shield, if anyone has any one of these items for sale I would like to hear from you.
Eager to get this machine back together and start using it.

I've had a Sanford MG 612 for a couple years. It's in like new condition, but like yours it didn't come with the vacuum attachment. I made an attachment from a 1 1/2" conduit elbow by boring out one of the connector legs to fit the hose for my shop vacuum. I plugged the other outlet and milled an oval hole in the cover. I attached it to the grinder with a couple pieces of slotted flat stock. One piece of flat stock is bolted to the grinder head and the other is bolted to the conduit elbow. There's a bolt with a spacer holding the elbow flat stock to the one mounted on the machine. I can loosen and tighten a wing nut on the end of the bolt to raise and lower the attachment.

It's an excellent machine. Not quite as nice as the Kent automatic I used for the past few years, but certainly adequate for my needs.

Not a very useful reply, but I will be picking up the same machine in a few weeks. I already purchased it, just need to arrange to get it. It also seems in nice shape, and spindle is quiet. I need to double check balance and dressing of the wheel on there before I really run it.
Any pics of yours?
I have the wheel guard and swarf shield, but I think it is missing vacuum attachment.
I'll post some of mine when I get it home

Hey Achllies Bill- what kind of drive do you prefer?

Bernie

Here are a few pictures of my Sanford MG 612. Note the home made vacuum, attachment.

Attachments

• DSCF8085.jpg
    DSCF8085.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,272
  • DSCF8086.jpg
    DSCF8086.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,335
Was that base open like that when you got it? I am thinking of opening mine up for storage like that. Waste of space down there.
I finally got mine home. LOVE it. Holds 1/10,000 over 6 inches. It is probably an older model, only 1/2 hp motor, not 3/4 like the "later" ones.any idea where to find the year of manufacture? The chuck has "1955" stamped into the front, but who knows what that really is

Bernie

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431143077.254754.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431143107.953611.jpg

Hello all - Just (April 2018) purchased a Sanford MG myself. I'm trying to find as much information as I can on the Sanford MG, both for my own use, and to build a web resource for Sanford MG owners (link below).

I'm especially interested in finding out the spindle taper on other Sanford MGs. My Sanford MG has a non-standard taper of around TPF=2.787", while it appears (not yet confirmed), that other Sanford MGs have the standard TPF=3". FOr those who have the same spindle taper as my machine, I'd like to know where they buy wheel adapters.

I've also put together a spreadsheet on serial numbers and other information, if anyone would like to contribute data for that. If you have an online photo album of your machine, I'll be happy to include a link to that.

Here's the link to what I have so far:

My Surface Grinder - Academy of Lagado

Back