What's new
What's new

Shopping for a small surface grinder. Advise please

shapeaholic

Stainless
As the title says, I am looking for a small surface grinder.
I do not do a lot of grinding, but it has come up often enough recently that I figure I should get one for my shop. ( currently have access to a Delta surface grinder, buts it's a bit rough)

I ideally would like something with as small a footprint as possible, and of "decent quality". I am no fan of chinese machinery. I prefer made in North America, or Europe.

As for the indended work, I am usually just grinding for finish, and occasionally to remove that last 0.001". No need to hold tenths all day long.
A 6x12 would probably do 95% of my work. ( I like the look of a Brown and Sharpe 510)
I really don't have much budget either. $1500-$2000

So...
Could any one suggest some machines for me to start looking for?

Thanks
Peter

Taft-Piece is good. Look also at Gardner, Jones & Shipman, Parker-Majestic, Reid, Covell, K.O. Lee, Harig, and Kent in the small-footprint range. ALL of those and several more are high-precision.

That Delta you mention is one of only a very, VERY few that are NOT.

There isn't really much POINT to grinding a surface if it is NOT uber-precise. Then you have wheels, hubs, mag chuck, fixtures for the chuck and work, dressers..... spindle maintenance.. and learning-curve?

Mosty for finish (cosmetic?) and the last thou, not last tenth?

Could was you'd be as well-off with a Burr-King?

Simpler.

Free to $2,000 should get a very nice surface grinder.
Best to be able to run/test a grind to see the spindle and travels are good.
Good to find and take a grinder hand with you to look.
Very often the quality of the chuck grind is what you will get from a grinder that has been sitting for a long time. Hand spinning the spindle should feel very smooth, Gravely feeling may mean it sat outside in the weather. Being smooth feeling still does not insure it is a good spindle.

*Do look under to see the ways are smooth and wet with oil. I once looked at a beautiful Thompson but looking under found heavy rusted ways.

Qt:[ Delta surface grinder, buts it's a bit rough) ignore the paint condition. Sings of hamming on the spindle are a bad thing.

Agree the Delta has some odd design features, one in mint would be just ok but perhaps/likely not as good as a more normal SG.

A machine setting for a long time should have hand spinning of the spindle before running at full speed.

Good to avoid problems is to jog start any grinder, at least when cold or at start of the day..fire to about or less than half speed and shut to stop , then fire up.

Don't grind the chuck right off but set your work away from the back rail where the chuck is still good..this lets the machine settle to its new home and gives your skills time to get the feel for grinding a large part like a chuck.

I have a Harig 612 that has treated me good but is going up on Craigslist in a week or so. I wanted power elevation and a built in coolant pump so I now own Parker & Majestic 618.

The 612 has new trucite and will grind .0002” corner to corner. The in/out screw has some wear but the elevation screw is perfect. It’s in good shape and has a permanent magnet. A buyer can try before they buy and I can load. I’ll be asking $600 or trade for 6”x18” permanent magnet/controller and a little cash.

If you’re interested, shoot me a PM with email or number and I’ll send pictures.

Andy

QT Hobby: [The in/out (cross) screw has some wear ] That wear does not matter hardly at all as with even an almost new grinder you dial the cross with going in one direction...and needing a step length 0f <.002 even with a brand new machine you check the step distance with not relying only on the cross dial.

Very likely you will find the better price in Michigan or Ohio... or New York if on that side of ontario.

Back