What's new
What's new

Silicon Carbide abrasive effect on Diamond dresser

pmhenehan

Plastic
I work at a machine shop where we grind titanium material rarely. On occasion i have to change to a silicon carbide composite wheel to grind titanium material to spec. I have been having an issue where the single point diamond dresser continues to crack or wear unevenly. We use a 2 diamond setup to complete the form on the wheel face. I have used brand new diamonds when switching from ceramic (Which we use constantly as we grind mostly exotic high nickel steels) and lowering the dresser speed by half (from 10 to 5 IPM), with varying degrees of success. High heat may be the issue since the composite material is less porous and harder.

Now, I am wondering if anyone out there who is familiar with this wheel composition and single point dressing that has any info on what could be done to keep the dresser from wearing disproportionately, with the setup we already have?

I am working on a STUDER FavoritCNC grinder, grinding dog bone bars on cylindrical specimens.

Thanks all

What's the makeup of the composite wheel? Is it a literal composite with fiber reinforcement, or made up of segments, or?

Diamonds will react with materials that include iron at high temps and pressure, as the iron will "leach" (not sure if that's the right term) carbon from the diamond structure, sort of chemically wearing it down.

If the dog bone specimens are for tensile testing, why not turn them using CBN inserts for the final pass? Are the real parts ground with the same wheels, so the samples have to be processed the same way?

I don't know if this is your situation, but we had problems with cheap diamonds wearing to fast.
Had bunch old timers complaining about the quality of the diamond, since the Forman would buy the cheapest.
we mainly ground carburized low alloy steel (case harden) silicon carbide was in our bag of tricks.
we had to worry about over temper.
I would suggest looking at the manufactures web site in their catalog and see if it has any data on dressing
or contact them directly. go to page 2 for tips

off set 10-15 degrees
rotate diamond 1/8 per day
60 grit .001-.002 infeed
start in the center

https://assets.abrasive-tech.com/literature/SuperabrasiveDiamondDressing.pdf

I would suggest you call Drake Mfg. as they make special dressers for their thread grinders and other grinding machinery they build and rebuild.
Machines - Drake Mfg

Also I was taught to use coolant when I dressed a wheel on a surface grinder. I'm not sure if your application is the same, but you mentioned heat.

dress and grind at the same grinding wheel SFM(rpm of the wheel) I would recommend coolant
does any one ever static balance the grinding wheels installed on the hub?
brain fart, Reishauer gear grinding wheels had to be static balanced, I believe we did the same for
OD Grinding wheels. just a thought.

Back