What's new
What's new

Small cutter grinders

abakker

Plastic
Ever since watching Stefan Gotteswinter's video on his Knuth KSW I've been interested in getting a similar machine, however, Knuth seems to be a totally unknown entity, and outside that one machine, I've not been able to find any common naming conventions to compare machines.

Obviously, they all go in the class of Universal tool and cutter grinders, but there are many formats of T&C grinders that appear to operate quite differently, some being more "universal" than others.

Here's the list I have so far:
- Knuth KSW
- Rutland 25563650 - looks like the KSW, can't quite tell if it is the same size.
- many chinese variants with models like 6025Q - (Search Universal Cutter Tool Grinder on Alibaba)
- A jeffery JF-250 which seems similar, but maybe a bit bigger

I guess what I'm wondering is: is there a western-made "reference machine" that all of these copied? Is there a standard one in this size class that I am more likely to find used?

I've seen plenty of Cincinnati # 2 grinders, but those are obviously much much larger.

Thanks!

looks like a handy small foot print machine,
KSW 200 Tool Grinders - | KNUTH - KNUTH

Ko lee made about the same and the cinci #1 is a small high quality machine.
larger can make set-ups easier and quicker
*Free Down load the Cincinnati manual no matter what machine you choose.
Are you looking for personal use or for a sharpening service?

Right off the bat I see a design fault with the KSW not having a riding finger mounting position..guess if they asked any old timer like me they could have designed a better machine.

Flat column intersect to base another fault..
No specifications at their web site.. like speeds/ wheel hole size / travel lengths..another fault.
Two/three faults and it is out for me.... Who knows what other defects it has.

*Still It is the work holding fixtures that make a TC grinder useful. With not the fixtures a TC grinder is mostly just a Bench grinder. The KSW has work holding fixtures so at that is better than many offered machine.

tilt wheel head
spin work head
motorized work head
one tail center
finger assembly
part vise.
swing work head
Pretty good list of stuff

I would like to see a 12 or 24 index that could fit work heads / another center not just the tail.

And remedy the faults I found.
One way/direction is a fault but perhaps needed for green grinder hand use..Perhaps it is a double ended spindle?

Last edited:
"UWS 320" is similar to the Knuth KSW 200.

In Europe they are easy to find:

https://www.knuth.de/de_en/ksw-200-101417
Holzmann Universal Werkzeugschleifmaschine UWS320 billiger kaufen im Holzmann Maschinen Store
| Holzmann Store - Maschinenhandel Gronau

UWS 320 Bernardo Universal-Schleifmaschine - LGH24 Bernardo Maschinen

"GJQ125" could be the manufacturer's name. There you can see many accessories, too:
Universal grinder/Electric tool grinding machine/Tool sharp GJW125 of Tools grinding machine from China Suppliers - 141594350

All these machines lack a swivel function (around the vertical axis) of the t-nut-table, that is needed to grind tapers that are longer than the width of the grinding wheel.
If I remember right, the manufacturer has a model with this function, but I've never seen a shop selling them.

The design could be based on a old machine from the german manufacturer "Bäuerle"; meanwhile they are rare.
But there should have been other manufacturers with similar models.

Back