What's new
What's new

smallish camshaft grinder

ladaok

Plastic
Down here in New Zealand, you will not find a camshaft grinding m/c for love nor money. The reason is, anything that was available has been taken out of the system by one of two companies to stop any competition.

So necessity is the mother of invention, I have not redesigned the wheel, but improved vastly on accuracy.

Can some person please point me in the right direction as far as speeds, grits, pressure verses metal removal rates, google is not much help, which is strange

Ta .... robbie

Soo.....Building your own?
CNC or old school cam masters?
Lot of variables at work. With the cam rotating at a constant speed the grinding wheel encounters increased SFP as you grind up and down over the lobe. You have to pick a speed that neither burns on the base circle nor chatters over the nose. Mine has DC variable speed motor driving the cam. Grit depends on cam material. Goodson at one time offered 2-3 different wheels for diesel, automotive, or billet steel applications. Now they have one for cranks and cams. Not sure if the old catalogs even listed a grit, i'll poke around.
Preasure vs metal removal? Not sure were your going here. Undercutting for/ and rough grinding of welded journals was a push it till it turned light brown kind of thing with a course dress. But a regrind was never that way, just finness the worst lobe true and grind the rest to match the base circle.

Any insights into CBN for cam grinding?

I have a berco 1500 good machine been looking at trying a cbn adapted off another grinder to try to se if it is viable. Surface speed may not be best but if you bought one from hgr could be a good experiment ( or bad) without the expense.
Looking for input on this too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any insights into CBN for cam grinding?
Yeah, it's expensive. The Landis cam grinders use them. Either cbn or, I think, diamond (which surprised me.) They also have hydrodynamic ways and monster wheelhead motors and cost a king's ransom.

Regular cam grinders use hard wheels and dress a lot, and if you can rough mill off most of the lobe first it's a huge time-saver. Grinding from round takes forever and eats wheels.

If'n one was going to get into that today, Supertec in Taiwan makes a cnc cam grinder that looks okay. Or they did, saw one at a show, looked decent.

Soo.....Building your own?
CNC or old school cam masters?
Lot of variables at work. With the cam rotating at a constant speed the grinding wheel encounters increased SFP as you grind up and down over the lobe. You have to pick a speed that neither burns on the base circle nor chatters over the nose. Mine has DC variable speed motor driving the cam. Grit depends on cam material. Goodson at one time offered 2-3 different wheels for diesel, automotive, or billet steel applications. Now they have one for cranks and cams. Not sure if the old catalogs even listed a grit, i'll poke around.
Preasure vs metal removal? Not sure were your going here. Undercutting for/ and rough grinding of welded journals was a push it till it turned light brown kind of thing with a course dress. But a regrind was never that way, just finness the worst lobe true and grind the rest to match the base circle.

Thanks for your valuable input

The m/c is not a cnc, nor is it a Rock a Billy like Bercos and Repco the cam turns and the grinding head moves. so cam rotational speed is variable, and you bring up a good point in that the wheel speed should also

The patterns are about 320 mm dia at the base circle and do not need to be steel. If I was able to make a pattern within .002 " the actual ground lobe is within .0002"
I am very sure the lobe patterns can be CNC'd

By pressure I mean, the force pushing against the job, as this is variable with my design. The m/c really is an ' old plain jane no last name '

Look forward to that info you may have and to the others that responded to my post, ....ta robbie

PS, as far as making the lobe patterns goes, I think I could almost have an assortment of master patterns where altering known accel. decel curves / lift / and timing points to suit could work, I am pretty sue Ed Winfield used a system like this

you bring up a good point in that the wheel speed should also
Why would you think that ? Wheel speed is determined by what you want at the periphery of the grinding wheel. Why would that change ?

Traditional cam grinders don't change the work speed, either. NC ones could but they are so massive they don't seem to - a half inch of metal removal is the same as .020" to them.

I am pretty sue Ed Winfield used a system like this
Yeah, seventy-five years ago. Times have changed ...

Yeah, it's expensive. The Landis cam grinders use them. Either cbn or, I think, diamond (which surprised me.) They also have hydrodynamic ways and monster wheelhead motors and cost a king's ransom.

Regular cam grinders use hard wheels and dress a lot, and if you can rough mill off most of the lobe first it's a huge time-saver. Grinding from round takes forever and eats wheels.

If'n one was going to get into that today, Supertec in Taiwan makes a cnc cam grinder that looks okay. Or they did, saw one at a show, looked decent.

Funny you should say to rough mill, i do that on my billet cams cut to net shape on 4 axis mill before ht, saves a ton of time. Ground many from round lobe billets not fun

Turbowerks, when you say "billet", do you mean "blank"? 'cause a billet is a massive semi-rough piece from a smelting foundry that goes to a forge or a rolling mill for further processing. Just saying...

Why would you think that ? Wheel speed is determined by what you want at the periphery of the grinding wheel. Why would that change ?

Traditional cam grinders don't change the work speed, either. NC ones could but they are so massive they don't seem to - a half inch of metal removal is the same as .020" to them.

Yeah, seventy-five years ago. Times have changed ...

Why do I think that, because the m/c is semi experimental, having all of the parameters adjustable, puts me in the ball park.

Why poo poo Ed Winfield, I think he moved on from 3/5/6 arc cam lobes long before anyone else, Cam design has changed bugger all in most respects, the only thing that has is metalurgy and rpm

Turbowerks, when you say "billet", do you mean "blank"? 'cause a billet is a massive semi-rough piece from a smelting foundry that goes to a forge or a rolling mill for further processing. Just saying...

Round 8620 or s-7 steel, I guess ive been caught up in my customers asking for billet parts lol. You know the ones they would buy a toilet seat for 10000.00 if you told them it was billet.

Back