What's new
What's new

Spindle oil for Browne and Sharpe No2

Chuck_L

Plastic
Hello all, chuck here. Haven't posted in over a decade. Anyway, inherited an old B&S #2 with plain bearings. Pretty sure it just has the original spindle. I've got a couple of manuals, done research, but still many questions. I suppose the first rattle out of the box is spindle lubrication.

I think I have a handle on the type of lubrication I'm going to purchase. But I'm scratching my head as to how I am actually going to apply it. The photos of machines with plain bearings seem to use external oilers. This machine does not have that. It simply has oil plugs that you remove and apply the lubricants. I was planning on simply "filling em up," but I had a second thought because on some spindle instruction plates I've read:

"To fill oil reservoir without flooding spindle - Fill oiler bottle, tip up to working position and repeat process until bottle ceases to empty."

In my mind that means there once was a special bottle, the tip of which went a particular depth into those lubrication holes.

Not sure if this is making a bigger deal than it is. What would the worst happen if you over-filled the reservoirs? Seems to me it would simply leak out for a while; the plugs are not hermetically sealed.

But better to check with folks who hopefully have experience.

OK, thanks in advance guys

NEVERMIND. That was dumb of me. I didn't realize the reservoir they are talking about is just a normal external oil reservoir. (I thought the casting of the spindle was being considered a "reservoir.")

Back