What's new
What's new

spindle taper

dian

Titanium
what taper would you expect on a german made surface grinder? its close to 7.2° (included) and i cant think of anything in that range. numerically it doesnt make to much sense, its a little over 1:8 or 1.5"/ft.

i also discovered the retaining screw is right hand, so i have been running the wheel in the "wrong" direction for years. how dangerous is that with this taper? if i crash the wheel, would it come loose?

thanks, thats probably it, i see fischer uses that as well on their FAV/FIV spindles. now if i only knew where to find wheel adapters.

i saw that one but jung has another taper (1:12?). that thread was by somebody else (another swiss).

so how dangerous is it to run it with the right hand screw?

Attachments

• 0 077.jpg
    0 077.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 92
Oke I bite
The taper should hold it
It can only unscrew when the taper gives in
So FWIW I don`t think it will come off

Peter

Agree tightened with some thought the taper should hold it. The tightness should about as tight as an aveage sterngth person can make it with a 6 or 7" long wrench. ...*but it would be better if the spindle nose thread and the wheel holding thread went the way to tighten with the direction of running.
I would replace that slotted screw head with a socket head cap screw so a Allen wrench could be used. or a slot head with abiut a 1/8 +" slot and a home made wrench..

looks like someone is whacking thr flange nut with a hammer and a punch..good way to mess-up a good spindle.

ill run it as it is, just needed some "backup". that arrow looks original, but still unusual having a right hand screw.

yes, i always wonder what kind of people work in the trade if i see something like this flange. probably they forgot about the left hand thread and couldnt get it off.

btw, i made a balancing arbor and a sleeve for the spindle (in pristine condition) and i get best fit at 1:15.65/7.31° included. weird.

Attachments

• 0 117.jpg
    0 117.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Back