What's new
What's new

stroke cable winding

snowmanalan

Plastic
The cable for the stroke function on my B&S 510 surface grinder has jumped off the drum. Anyone have a procedure to load new cable properly? IOW how is this done so the cable tension is correct?

Look at the mounting points for each end of the cable. You will see that they are offset about half inch. when you wind the cable be sure it goes over the top of the drum and the cable is a straight shot to its mounting post.
The spring is on the right side, back off the eyebolt so the nut is at its very end, move the table fully to the right, put a wire on the cable end that attaches to the spring, wind the cable on the drum, pull the wire with the cable attached, and hook to the end of the spring. Tighten the spring tension until it is stiff to turn the traverse wheel with the table against the stop.

There is no spring on my grinder. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be one though. Also, the cable winding drum on mine is threaded with a shallow half round RH thread as a cable guide. I've removed the table completely at this point and I'm having a tough time trying to figure out how to wind the cable around the drum and keep it there, cable is very springy, wish I had 5 hands. Sitting here thinking I should remount the table, attach the cable to the LH end and try to keep the drum exposed so I can see what I'm doing. Then how many wraps are required, 2,3, more? Than I can pull the table to the right by pulling on the cable. When the table is centralized hopefully I'll be able to attach it to the right side of the table. A spring might work, too!

The job does want at least three hands, doesn't it? This was the single most aggravating part of cleaning up my new-to-me old Mitsui 6x18 grinder.

sfriedberg, c'mon man, you just can't leave me hanging like that. How'd you do it? What's the trick?. Does your Mitsui use a spring?

Well, it's been a while, I didn't take photos of the job, and really can't distinguish what I actually did from what I thought about doing. Also the Mitsui is probably similar but not exactly the same as the B&S. I think I had less trouble with my cable being springy, more of a flexible small-diameter aircraft cable. Without going out to the shop to look, I think there's no spring; the adjustable end of the cable has a screw and nut for tensioning the cable.

If I recall correctly (and I may not), I wrapped the cable around the drum, then taped and/or weighted the ends of the cable so they would stay accessible at each end of the base. Once I placed the table, I was then able to attach first the fixed end of the cable, then the adjustable end of the cable. I probably re-adjusted the tension after running the table back and forth a couple of times to settle the cable on the drum.

I don't recall the details of winding the cable on the drum, but I recall cursing at least a couple of times when the cable turns would not lie flat, or would get caught under each other instead of staying in the drum grooves.

Thanks for that, that gives me some idea of what to do. I'll look for some better cable at the fisheries supply tomorrow. My B&S doesn't have a tensioner, at least not now. It just has bolts with washers that capture the cable. I'm gonna drink some beers now and try again soon.

Is the drum flat or grooved ?
My Brown & Sharpe 510 uses a flat band instead of a cable and has no tension springs.
That's what is shown in the parts diagram.

Yeah, my serial number is 2186, patent #2053177. Makes me believe I have a different grinder than you guys. Anyway I just put it back together and did a little grinding. I need to get a diamond point dresser for sure. Probably should just start with a new wheel, I have no idea where the one I have now has been! I'll put up some pics this evening so we can compare machines. Thanx for everyone's input!!

Did you ever have one of those days when ya' feel like a complete idiot? Today's my day!! I was taking some photos to post and realized that it's the B&S permanent mag chuck, #510 on a Grenby Manufactuing grinder, type S 1, serial #42 867. There's another tag from The Iron Fireman Machine # 4427, serial # 42867. Sorry for the cornfusion, mine and yours :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg