What's new
What's new

Studer cylindrical grindier coolant leak

StlVern

Plastic
I have a Studer S30 LeanPro that has been leaking coolant into the hydraulic tank. Rapidly. Enough to displace the oil out of the tank onto the floor. I should mention that the hydraulic oil doubles as way oil, so it circulates throughout the machine. I have already replaced the wipers on the way covers, but it still leaks somewhere. After closer inspection to the X axis we noticed that the plastic wear rails/pads that the way covers ride on were severely warped, which I would imagine could push the way covers up, leaving a gap for the coolant to maybe get in. I have not seen a direct path to the hydraulic tank that the coolant could get into though. I have talked to the service department at United Grinding and they said there is a pipe under the B axis that tends to rust out and leak hydraulic oil. I still don't see how this could cause coolant to get into the hydraulics that fast. Towards the end of the shift yesterday, I found a doughnut shaped seal of sorts with a hole pattern directly underneath the B axis by the ball screw. the material was fairly soft and pretty much disintegrated trying to fish it out. I have no idea where it came from or what its is for. I am still waiting to hear back from United Grinding after I sent them updates of what I have found. In the meantime, if anyone had any suggestions on what else I can look for, it would be greatly appreciated.

Back