What's new
What's new

Sunnen bushing grinder

Dave123

Aluminum
I have recently aquired a Sunnen bushing grinder, obviously an older unit. The ID tag on the front of the machine says it is a model AHM. Serial number C7081
I cannot find any mention of this particular model anywhere,...when I contacted Sunnen they said that any of the accessories in their catalouge will fit ??!
This particular model has a piston type oil pump mechanicaly operated by a accentric at the rear of the mandrel shaft.
Has anyone come across this model?

Dave

Attachments

• Sunnen bushing grinder 1.jpg
    Sunnen bushing grinder 1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 350
  • Sunnen bushing grinder 2.jpg
    Sunnen bushing grinder 2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Could you please post a picture of the machine. There were a couple old machines that the current Sunnen tooling will not fit.

Sunnen never used a piston type oil pump.

Looking at the pic it looks like your machine would accept standard mandrels. Odd the label says "bushing grinder", mine says "precision hone". Sunnen for some odd reason had an automotive line (red), and an industrial line (grey), same machines, with different model numbers, maybe there were differences I am not aware of. The gauge mounted on upper right (whole unit, not just the dial indicator) is worth more than the machine, if it works.

its a hone not grinder.

I've got what looks like the same one, except the oil pump on mine is rotary and underneath in the tank...powered by a round urethane belt. I'd always thought of mine as being an "LB" model but couldn't swear to it. Apparently all Sunnen tooling fits it, with the small sizes using an adapter ring. The tank and stand are custom made, the only room for it my shop was to make something that fit overtop of the phase converter

X6Ms7ms.jpg

Yes a bit of a mystery,... mine does accept the Sunnen hones. The lube pump is a piston type. The Other discrepancy is the drive belt, the OEM flat belt for a model L-BM for example is too short, also mine has a four stage pulley motor shaft and mandrel shaft.

Friend in Tx has what for all the world looks like a Sunnen hone, but it has some other name on it, and label says "bearing grinder" iirc. My best guess for it, and maybe yours, is a special order, maybe from military?

You have an old bench hone that was made at Sunnens facility in Canada. Yes it will take the current tooling. The oil system must be home made or only used in Canada. Sunnen machines made in the US used centrifugal pumps. Sunnen no longer has a Canadian facility. That machine sold for $185.00 new with tooling back in the day

You have to be careful with Sunnen stuff....some users are in the habit of putting worn out tooling on sale ...never buy without looking and checking.....the cost of new tooling sucks newbies in.

You have to be careful with Sunnen stuff....some users are in the habit of putting worn out tooling on sale ...never buy without looking and checking.....the cost of new tooling sucks newbies in.

You may buy a truing sleeve marked 1125 but find it to be 1250 when measured.

Back