What's new
What's new

Sunnen honing eclipse e-3500 machine question

gixxergary

Aluminum
Im looking for a used small honing machine. An assembly shop down the road has an eclipse ec-3500 machine that they never use. I know next to ZERO about honing, other than we send what little work we have, out to another shop to do.

They would include a decent amount of mandrels and stones with the sunnen cabinet. Not sure if the trueing sleeves are there or not for each size. So, onto my questions.
Are mandrels, or how they attach to the machine, different between all the models, or is it one size fits all? ( all under 2" for what I need )?
Is this model any good?
Any input on this model or what I should look for when inspecting, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

The mandrels from older machines will fit the EC3500

Open the operator control panel. There are two screws at the bottom, back them out and the panel will swing up. You may have to pry it a bit if it is stuck to the seal. What you looking for is oil in side the panel. If you find a lot of oil it means the circut board may have issues. That is a old machine and circut boards are hard to come by.

Do you need the automatic features? If volume is moderate I'd consider one of the simple machines that hasn't changed much in decades, an MBB-1660 or similar. Watch out for used tooling. Many mandrels for sale are worn to the point of being useless. Most adapters are the early type without a lift stop, so the speeds can be more limited than the machine is capable of.

I appreciate the help. I will check out the inside of the control cabinet. Nice info. The auto machine is definitely not necessary. Usually less than 10 pcs to be done.

Thanks,

Back