What's new
What's new

Surface Grinder - Dust Collection

mediocremaker

Plastic
Hi All,

So I have been fixing up a surface grinder (Boyar-schultz Challenger deluxe) that I got at an auction. Its finally in a state where I want to start using it, but I know I need to setup some dust collection scheme. I have read some old posts, from them I have a few take aways:
(1) wet grinding would be best (but currently this early in my use I am not ready to go that route), (2) Dust collector attached to the end of the table, (3) Dust collector mounted to machine (not work head) and positioned close to the workhead output side.

The 3rd option sounds ideal, and from this image I found in an older it seems like the option I should go after for the room I have in the shop for it.

My question is, without breaking the bank
- where can I source that collection port parts, any suggestions are welcome
- What should I do for actual dust collection? would a shop vac with some kind of spark collector work? is there a better solution im finding? Sparks seem like they could be an important issue to deal with that close to the work piece
- What material should I be looking to source the hose for this setup?

And always, I appreciate the wisdom you guys wish to share, it really helps with breaking into these new tools that I am not confident with.

For better or worse I've been running at Taft Peirce surface grinder and a couple of tool grinders dry for years. The suction line from the guard on each goes to one of the "Dust Deputy" mini cyclones atop a bucket with a couple inches of water in the bottom. Water has washing soda in it to discourage bacterial growth. The output of the collector bucket feeds to a shop vac.

I made sure there was no carry over to the shop vac and that was simply a matter of playing with hose sizes.

No issues, easy service, low $

Cool that does look like a pretty good First step setup. My initial hunting started showing solutions that were hundreds of dollars and price is definitely an important aspect of just getting this machine to a working state.

Did you use any special hose material for what mates to your grinder?

20191220_163034.jpg

This is my setup. Plastic hood, easily replaceable, section of unistrut to raise and lower, and slotted aluminum plate to move in/out from wheel. The dust collector is a Torritt I picked up from CL

I went to my online candy store (McMaster-Carr) and picked up a hose that wouldn't zap me with static and glom on to all manner of dust as soon as we got air flowing. The hose from the mini cyclone simply whatever was with the vacuum.

hey, thats my grinder. i made the funnel myself and used a polyurethane hose.

I had a post about making my own dust collector back in the days before photobucket crashed. I did some research back then and asked similar questions re: shop vacs etc. One of the more important details is that you need a vacuum capable of at least 650cfm. The next consideration is noise. Keep it well below 80db.

I patterned mine after an actual Torrit model where the dust is drawn in through a chamber where it has to drop down to within 3" of a steel pan before being pulled upwards in the front chamber to pass over bag filters and then through a HEPA filter before it reaches the blower chamber. Inside the blower chamber the clean air is blown upwards through a foam lined tower (for noise suppression). There is about a 3' hose from the grinder intake to the first chamber and so far sparks have not been an issue. The dust travels about 5' before hitting a filter and the heavier stuff falls into the steel pan on the way. I'm not sure what the bag filter material is made of but it doesn't burn. I think they are 5 micron bags. I used the blower and motor unit from this portable unit: Portable Dust Collector - 13 Gallon

The foam lined chute drops the noise level down to a comfortable db level where I can still hear the wheel touch off, hear the radio and or carry on a conversation. I just found some photos on a flash drive.

The intake hose is on the right (and left) side of the box. The panel between the filter bag chamber and the intake chamber stops about 3" up from the metal pan.
2v2HDjVv5xAjwmD.jpg

The HPEA filter tops off the bag filters.
2v2HDjV2dxAjwmD.jpg

Sealed up. MDF used for the box.
2v2HDjSzqxAjwmD.jpg

Intake chute:
2v2ud8ySqxAjwmD.jpg

Back