What's new
What's new

Wheel selection help for cutter grinder

gbent

Diamond
I am looking for recommendations for a wheel for my surface grinder that I will be using for cutter grinding. 7" diameter with a 1 1/4 hub. It is for drill sharpening device where the radius on the edge of the wheel is an important part of the relief of the web.

What are your recommendations for the best compromise between hardness and grit to hold a good radius without burning the drills? An undersize 54I popcorn would lose the radius every couple of drills. A 80H holds the radius well but burns.

Just about any wheel will burn the very fine sharp cutting edge so very often a pause then a couple .002 or so slow grinds may save the teat treat. For splitting or thinning the web the cutter absorbs some/much heat but can still burn, so small in-feeds are best.

Guess you might try a 60 j but even that can burn grinding dry. CBN wheel likely best but needs coolant.
and dressing a CBN is not that easy.

I used a Bay State and a Radiac pink wheel but I cant remember the grit and hardness.
Yes Pink is also Aluminum Oxide. It seemed to me that white and pink ran cooler and brown ran hotter.

Back