Taft Peirce #1 refresh - lots of pictures - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe the weight is around 1500# (plus or minus an elephant). Its not in the manual that I have, but its easy to move with the pallet jack I have which is only rated to 3K # (it will lift the monarch but lowering that ~3400# is much more abrupt).

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the catalog Taft-Peirce list the weight as 1500 lbs.

Has anybody ever seen one of these machines with the wet grinding attachment?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SIP6A View Post
    In the catalog Taft-Peirce list the weight as 1500 lbs.

Has anybody ever seen one of these machines with the wet grinding attachment?
    HEY!!! Get OUT of my head!!!

Seriously, I was literally JUST wondering about this very issue. I did not know they had one.
    I was trying to figure out the bet way to install coolant and the associated parts/plumbing to handle it on the one I need to go get and install, here.

Do you have any pictures of it? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you have a Taft-Peirce catalog its in there. Here is a link to one a dealer has.

Grinders: Taft-Peirce Surface Grinder 12" x 6.5"

Here is one for sale that has an after market power feed, anybody seen one of those?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SIP6A View Post
    If you have a Taft-Peirce catalog its in there. Here is a link to one a dealer has.

Grinders: Taft-Peirce Surface Grinder 12" x 6.5"
    I do not have the catalog, but it appears to simply be a catch basin/shroud with a drain pipe. Is that correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    I do not have the catalog, but it appears to simply be a catch basin/shroud with a drain pipe. Is that correct?
    Thats about it. There is some sheet metal around the table to keep the coolent out of the ways and a casting to catch the collent as it comes off of the table.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So finally a weekend where it is not snowing or to cold to do something in the shop - so actually got the saddle back on. It was awkward trying to rig the saddle to be able to place it gently on the roller bearings, wound up jacking up the base high enough to allow the engine hoist legs to get underneath a bit.

Also installed Z feed (spindle axis, Y on a Bridgeport) but not sure if I got enough bearings (or one may have gone missing), the outer one seems to have gone missing (I believe it is a 3/4 x 1 5/8 x 7/16) hope it turn up tomorrow.

Good thing its getting warmer again, table needs to be cleaned and painted as does the spindle (then I should build the rotary phase converter as the Bridgeport is on a VFD). Enough rambling.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The bearing showed up, and I have gotten some more done. Table painted, note that left side you can see the drain hole that the factory put in if you want to set up coolant - so a drain would come out under the light.

Ready to put the table on. For now I aligned the table ways to the front flats on the column assembly. I used a combination of 123 blocks and adjustable parallels. I think its in the "neighborhood" at the moment. I'll see if it needs tweaking after everything is functioning.

My rigging to place the table working solo - table is not very heavy so no worries using rope - had to bump the height again to get the engine hoist under the edges. Tilt adjuster is not bolted on - it has to come off to fit the spindle carrier block.

View from the underside left end, you can see the drive rack, and the coolant drain hole.

Other end, the rod is the stop, A rubber washer (bumper) goes on each end, screw and washer on the end. orig screw was snapped but the remnant came out. Need to find some suitable washers, and run the table over far enough to fit the stop bolt.

End pieces fitted just to check things out.

Front guard and dovetail (with stops) fitted. From the manuals some tables look to have a T slot instead of a bolt on dovetail. The bolt on the tray is the table lock bolt. The handle looks to be about the only piece that did not come with the grinder. Will have to fab a replacement.

Still need to clean and paint the spindle and control box. Then adjust all the bearings. Looks like I should start on the phase converter soon.
    Paul

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Paul, I really envy how yours is coming out. Very good work, old chap.

My own showed up today. Finally. What wonderfully simple machines to boast such accuracy! Your pictures of your process and parts really make things "click' in the detritus that rattles around my head.

Our machines appear to be identical, save that I have a slotted table and am missing the front door. Otherwise, I have the same light ( with green lens - and intact! ) and the plain end cover at the opposite side ( no lever/switch ). It appears that I am missing whatever traps the balls in the cross slide ways of the saddle and the screws that used to secure whatever that was are broken off at the surface.

Guess how I figured that out? ( crankcrankcrank... tink!... tink... tink-tink-tink-tink... )

She needs a good cleaning, MAYBE a paint job, and a chuck. I cannot find anything in the way of a serial number, save for that the head has "281" stamped on the tag that instructs to loosen all twelve screws to rotate the head.

I appears that one can just BARELY fit a 6 x 12 chuck on there... I have not decided if I'm willing to gamble... I really HATE to give up the extra 2" in travel for the typical 5" ones...

When did you say you were stopping by to start on this one...?

Now I gotta find a manual and such as she's lost hers along the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Serial number on mine appears in two places - front of carriage between the X and Z handwheels - you can see the bare spot in the pictures. It is also on one of the top corners of the table. If you need dimensions of the carriage ball spacers let me know I can probably pull that fairly easily to measure for you. The way those load is from the front with the Z handle removed - there is a hole on each side to load the balls and carriers.

12 screw to rotate head? Does yours have dovetails on both sides? Mine is only on one side, 2 screws for the front one and 3 for the rear.

I fitted up the spindle today, motor still needs paint as its the yellow it was when I got it, last things are painting the wheel guard and fitting the chuck. Really need to start on the rotary phase converter soon. That and start dialing in the adjustments to the carriage and insure the spindle stops are set for horizontal, all bearings...

I took some more pics I will post them soon.

Paul

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll go check for you in a little bit. Was a long day so once it was on the ground safely, I only spent a small amount of time oiling and moving things to insure function and arrest some of the surface rusting that started. I'll try and take some pics too.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmmm... odd... no serial number pad in that location or any other that I can find, save for a tag under the light's original receptacle...
    img_0986a.jpgimg_0987a.jpgimg_0988a.jpgimg_0989a.jpgimg_0990a.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a few more pics. These show the lack of retainer on the balls and their carriers, too.

img_0991a.jpgimg_0992a.jpgimg_0993a.jpgimg_0994a.jpgimg_0995a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have the retainers there for the balls on the carriage. Those are the rectangular blocks you can see poking out with the ball in it on the last two pictures. What you look to be missing are the stops, there are little rectangular blocks of steel that keep the balls and retainers from coming out to far. Also in the third picture, underside of the right end of the table, the stop rod should have a screw an washer in the end, this would be to keep a rubber washer/bumper in place. At least that is my assumption given the parts I have.

I think you have an early machine as the cast in name seems to be earlier, later they has separate name plates. The door on the early ones looks to have louvers and a bit more depth, from other pics on ebay.

How much effort does it take to raise the column? Takes quite a bit more than I expected on mine, that's the one that would develop your arm muscles on (not the other two).

Paul

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    You have the retainers there for the balls on the carriage. Those are the rectangular blocks you can see poking out with the ball in it on the last two pictures. What you look to be missing are the stops, there are little rectangular blocks of steel that keep the balls and retainers from coming out to far.
    Yes... "stops"... that's what I meant... Might you have any dimensions or good pics of them? Wanna make or buy some quickly so I can stop chasing, then washing my balls. No, wait... I meant... oh, never mind...

I've noticed that I can juuuuuussssssst get it to span 6-1/4" inches when the balls fall out, so I'm really hoping that I can get just a little bit more with the stops in place. If so, I'll order a 6 x 12 chuck for her.

Also in the third picture, underside of the right end of the table, the stop rod should have a screw an washer in the end, this would be to keep a rubber washer/bumper in place. At least that is my assumption given the parts I have.
    Mine does not appear to come close to bumping anything. Like there's nothing that a rubber bumper would impact upon. I wonder if I'm missing more.

I think you have an early machine as the cast in name seems to be earlier, later they has separate name plates. The door on the early ones looks to have louvers and a bit more depth, from other pics on ebay.
    I'll go looking for pics. I might just keep it open like that, fab a sheet metal cover to keep out dust from the screw, and use it to house tooling and fixturing.

How much effort does it take to raise the column? Takes quite a bit more than I expected on mine, that's the one that would develop your arm muscles on (not the other two). Paul
    Mine is not that bad. About the same as my old B&S 510. I have been constantly pumping the oil, though, and have noticed that it's getting better. Maybe you have a thrust bearing issue?

I still need to check the head for you. By the by, I weighed mine. Every pound of 1600.

Any ideas on where one can find documentation for her?

By the by, I'm REALLY digging that one can really sneak up on sizes with the fine feed on there.... I'm used to that from a B&S 6 x 18 Micromaster, but the .0001" divisions on these fine feed wheels have so much space between them I can imagine easily splitting up tenths into millionths nicely. I'm not so ignorant so as to think that qualifying that would be fun, but just having the ability to sneak up on things so nicely is very appealing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The stops are just rectangular steel blocks (like .125 thick) with one hole held in place with a single screw, they are visible in some of the earlier pics I posted. I'll take one off and measure it for you.

I dont think your missing much. In your first or second picture I can see the table lock knob - knob on top of the table right end of the vise area. That is the handle that pulls on the bolt (in the tray in my last pic in post 28) this grabs the rod and locks the table in place. There are supposed to be bumpers on either side of the lock, I assume to keep you from smashing into the block when traversing to the left, and a washer screw to stop on the right. Without the stop it could be possible to slide the table completely off the machine crashing to the floor. Of course to do that I think the end caps have to be removed. I have not fitted clamp yet, the bumpers may be superfluous but the parts are cheap and available at a hardware store.

Fine feeds on the one I have work to .00005, and I have seen pics of others that have another set of lines so .000025, but as you say tons of space to go by eye. shop is not temp controlled but I figure it will be able to easily dial in .00001 and less.

Shoot me an email and I will send you the PDF manuals I have. You can look up the patent - Patent US2238704 - SURFACE GRINDING MACHINE - Google Patents

Paul

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sent you a PM with email info.

Anyone know what the hole in the top of the saddle's casting, directly in front of the table, and to the immediate left of the stop ( that the table stops bump against ) bolted to the center of the saddle is for? Paul, you have a casting boss there, but appear to lack the hole.

Here -

Yours -
    Mine attached and located right above the left top corner of the tray and between the carriage's stop and the left hand table stop.

img_0987a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK lets try again - i sent you the manuals that should help you if you look at the parts lists and pictures.
    I circled the handle that should be the clamp on your table;

You can see that hole in the big pictures you copied, you can also see the rod on the carriage. The stops on the front are just to set the traversing limits for whatever work you are using, the knob will lock the table quickly in any position, I assume primary reason would be dressing the wheel, but you woould probably use it if you mount a rotary fixture, it may be good to lock the stos as well.

Does that make more sense?
    Paul

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, no... Sorry. I probably was not clear enough...

I've attached an edited picture with a black circle around the hole I'm referring to. It's a hole that goes through the saddle ( not the reciprocating table ) but I cannot figure out exactly what its purpose is.

Also, I've discovered that my head is indeed the double dovetail style.

After combing over this old girl for a bit now, I think I am going to SLIGHTLY disassemble it in effort to get all the surface rust and corrosion that's formed in some hard to reach places, just in the effort of making sure that it's all taken care of and I don't have to worry about its effects later on down the road.

Once it's cleaned up and back together, long term plans might entertain motorizing the table, adding splash guards and coolant. I think I am going to keep this one for a while. It's really a very nice, compact, well built grinder!

img_0987b.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A better picture of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0997b.jpg