Taft Peirce #1 refresh - lots of pictures - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the most part everything is back together, still some details to finish up like final alignments and tightening roller ways, the table lock handle, light cover plate, wiring the light back up, sourcing new rubber covers for the on/off switch. I may pull the column again as it definatly seems harder to move than it should. I'll post a couple of assembled pics tonight.

Now to spend a bit of time on the phase converter forum as I need that up and running. Got a 7.5hp motor for the converter which is obvioulsy more than enough for the TP and I'm hoping its enough for the Abene which has 5hp on the spindle and 2 for power feeds.

For doing a power table feed I really think there would be enough room under the carriage to fit a small high torque motor and belt drive the table feed shaft, you dont need much effort to drive the table. Power can route into the carriage and you could wire microswitches into the center stop of the table, that way you would have a super clean installation. Someone at work was specking a small high torque motor for a fixture application here at work I can get the company info - I think they were a bit pricey.

Oh I believe my grinder came with a wheel puller that fits, I'll check that as well.

Paul

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    For doing a power table feed I really think there would be enough room under the carriage to fit a small high torque motor and belt drive the table feed shaft, you dont need much effort to drive the table. Power can route into the carriage and you could wire microswitches into the center stop of the table, that way you would have a super clean installation. Someone at work was specking a small high torque motor for a fixture application here at work I can get the company info - I think they were a bit pricey.
    I have been having good luck with NIB/NNB/NOS Bison 90 &180 V DC gearmotors, usually a bit less-costly than my preferred Bodine's. Built-in right-angle worm drive with hollow shaft comes with a reducer bushing split to preserve the keyway, so ginning-up a drive is not hard.

Only downside is that with the worm-drive, one needs a mechanical disconnect - dog clutch or the like.

OTOH, one can dial-down the speed and/or set the JOG ('creep', or even 'slither' actually!..) to such a silly-slow RPM, one could just use a joystick and dispense with handwheel entirely.

A motor with belting instead of gearing would need no clutch. VFD + AC variable-speed would want about twice the power-rating to match the low RPM torque OR the flat torque band of a DC motor.

Either way, for an SG, one wants a continuous-duty rated critter, not an adapted electric screwdriver motator.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the most part everything is back together, still some details to finish up like final alignments and tightening roller ways, the table lock handle, light cover plate, wiring the light back up, sourcing new rubber covers for the on/off switch. I may pull the column again as it definatly seems harder to move than it should. I'll post a couple of assembled pics tonight.
    Well, I can tell you that my own takes surprisingly little effort to run up ( or down ) now that there's oil in there. Like everything else on these things... It kind of amazes me how little effort is required to move any part of it.

Now to spend a bit of time on the phase converter forum as I need that up and running. Got a 7.5hp motor for the converter which is obvioulsy more than enough for the TP and I'm hoping its enough for the Abene which has 5hp on the spindle and 2 for power feeds.
    They're only 5HP while running will add to the 7.5HP's capacity. So you'll have plenty to run the other two motors as well.

I don't know where you guys are finding all this room. Unless I just can't see it because I have not had the carriage completely off... But it appears that I can just barely stuff a NEMA 23 size motor up in there accounting for some proper mounting and fastening, as well... It appears like a NEMA 34 would be REALLY tight and I'd like to have a little room in there besides.

Oh I believe my grinder came with a wheel puller that fits, I'll check that as well. Paul
    Lucky dog.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Either way, for an SG, one wants a continuous-duty rated critter, not an adapted electric screwdriver motator. Bill
    No... they spin WAYYYYYYY too fast and the instant reversing would make dust of the planetary gear sets inside. Don't ask me how I know...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    No... they spin WAYYYYYYY too fast and the instant reversing would make dust of the planetary gear sets inside. Don't ask me how I know...
    Speed is adjustable - not an issue. Ditto the torque set-point on the clutch (Milwaukee M12's here - 'Rigid' brand and a couple of other sputniks appear to come out of the same factory in China).

Doing just fine for getting 4-J chuck jaws into rough position or raising the knee of a Burke #4. I use an air-powered wrench for the shaper or the bigger mill. Don't mind cranking manually otherwise.

Overheating is what I had in mind as the limiter. None of the uses I cited require but a short run. An SG, OTOH, needs to be able to cycle for a longish run, pause for measurement and/or parts change, rinse, repeat.

Bison's look OK so far, but I still like Bodine. Bodine's sales pitch at one time was: "Bodine motors do too wear out! They just take longer." .. and I found it so, then justified them as waaay cheaper than flying a technician halfway 'cross country to replace the 'Dayton' branded ones the company had been using.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the company I mentioned
    Custom Small DC Motor Solutions | MICROMO
    No idea if any of there products would actually be applicable but they make very small gearheads, I believe they are US, German, and Swiss, and fairly pricey as I mentioned.

On the high force for the column - my guess is something is binding somewhere (duh), Everything was free on a piece part basis but maybe a spacer or similar is missing or out of sorts. Well its always easier the second time

Paul

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the company I mentioned
    Custom Small DC Motor Solutions | MICROMO
    No idea if any of there products would actually be applicable but they make very small gearheads, I believe they are US, German, and Swiss, and fairly pricey as I mentioned.
    Faulhaber is top-drawer stuff. And very much overkill for what is to be done here.

Even if you want to gilt-edge it a bit, there is space enough for any of several alternatives more economically acquired. A re-purposed servo motor and its infrastructure, for example. Personally - or perhaps perversely, or even pervertedly - I find basic DC cheaper. Also far easier to nourish and control.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guys, I'm thinking on the other side of things...

Stepper motor, stepper driver, power supply, pulse generator, two switches ( four for obsessive safety, if you desire ), and a logic circuit. Can likely be built for under $150.

Thoughts?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    Guys, I'm thinking on the other side of things...

Stepper motor, stepper driver, power supply, pulse generator, two switches ( four for obsessive safety, if you desire ), and a logic circuit. Can likely be built for under $150.

Thoughts?
    Bought a coupla steppers to play with.. Parker Compumotor stuff. Too much else on my plate to even look at them.

The SG's recip doesn't need any of that - just smooth motion essentially constant velocity and reverse, optionally a 'soft' reverse.

The steppers are for a possible electronic dividing head 'upgrade' to the common rotab. which I do not yet have anyway.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

keeping everything in one thread regarding the column being hard to raise/lower - I did pull the column yet again. Nothing obvious binding, in fact I can turn the top column bevel gear with one finger and watch the handle move (so I don't think dis-assembly of the screw will do anything but I may do it anyway). Trying to lean on the column nut while turning the handle does not seem to show binding, not that you can really do anything that way solo. May see if I can get my son to stand on the nut and see what that feels like.

Anyone in New England have one of these in working condition I can check the feel on?
    Paul

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone in New England have one of these in working condition I can check the feel on?
    Paul
    Paul,

Hopefully a closer shop that's still using one. Closest one I found listed on eBay is in Watertown, CT - 90+ miles from your ZIP:

Taft ?Pierce Surface Grinder | eBay

But .. no idea if that one would tell you anything useful even if it were sitting alongside...

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Paul, thank you very much for all of the detail which you posted on this thread.

I just acquired a T-P No. 1 which has seen a lot of hard love. I need to replace the idler gear that drives the table since it has a couple missing teeth. Anyone here happen to have a part number for that gear, or even better a full set of generic specs? It would be nice to buy one but I'll make if I have to.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well looks like all the links to pictures are now broken - all the pictures are still up in my accounts (flickr or photobucket) I'll see if I can get things to show up again...

a bit later - Looks like photobucket killed the ability to share images - and I'm not upgrading that account to a pay account, so time to find a new picture host.
    Paul

A bit later again - looks like I will put all my pictures on a new site (with public access) - I will then post a link to that site so anyone interested can see the pictures. Will probably create a new mini thread titled pictures as some people will not go to the end of the tread and find a new link (since you and edit years old posts).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please do, this whole photo thing is so rediculus, and i would love to see what all you have done. It's awesome to have a preview of what i will be getting into when i regrind or make new ways for mine.

Thanks DJ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK - a couple quick links to see if this helps. First this is my Flickr account a few pictures of the Taft Peirce Facilities in Woonsocket RI - its about 20 mi from where I live so went and found it on a bicycle ride.
    https://flic.kr/p/zrUdmq
    Page through and there are some more pictures as well as pics of my monarch lathe and other toys

here is a link to one of the photobucket images http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...pse38eb631.jpg
    I know if I preview it the link works for me but someone else try and see if you have success. You can move through the pictures to find the others in the account (they are all public).

I'll try to move the machine tools to some folders on a more friendly location as the ad crap on photobucket is ridiculous. But need to finish my taxes first
    Paul

16. Likes Colt45 liked this post