What's new
What's new

Taft - Peirce Grinder footprint question.

Zagato

Plastic
Hi to the Forum.

I am considering getting a new to me Surface grinder, and I'm reading that the footprint is about 46" X 46".
Is that right ?
Seems awfully big for a 5 X 12 table travel item.
The one I'm looking at is cross country, & I don't want to have it arrive & find out it won't fit in the shop, much less fit where my Brown & Sharp 1927 No. 2 now sits.
I look forward to any comments,
Thanks.
JH

46" X 46". that seems about right, table is a tad over 33 and about 13" travel makes 46"

Don't know the condition of your #2 ..but with getting the Taft come back and give report how it compares and how you like it. One thing nice about the Taft is the low down-feed hand wheel..IMHO. Your eyes don't have to go so far from the work..and I think it more comfortable not reaching up. (No I don't have a Taft. Just B&S 13, B&S #2, cinci#2 and a KO Lee for grinders and a few bench grinders and the like.) Mostly just run the Cincy for business and bid jobs at about $75 per .. other grinders, mill and lathes just for pleasure. Have had the offer for SG work but so often busy with family don't need more work.

Buck

Thanks for the observations.
Called the seller to verify the actual patch it occupies on the ground.
I can deal with the table overhang, & have the bandsaw next to it move away on wheels when necessarybut if it base is 46 X 46, I'm overcrowded.
I'll give an update here when the seller salutes.
Just as an interest shot, here's a photo of the inside of my current grinder when I was rebushing it.
Interesting gear train...
DSCN6638.jpg,

The base is not 46x46 more like about 30, it is only 46 wide with travel included.

*Rustytool is likely right on with QT: [The foot print of the old art deco no. 1 grinder is 29-1/4 x 26-3/16]

Excellent news.
Looks like I can buy this piece of industrial art & fit it in my shop....
JH

Back