What's new
What's new

Taft Pierce

Illinoyance

Stainless
I have a Taft Pierce surface grinder in which the previous owner lost the balls that support the table. Does anyone know the proper size for the balls?

I have a Taft Pierce surface grinder in which the previous owner lost the balls that support the table. Does anyone know the proper size for the balls?

Someone on PM will know.

Meanwhile, it cannot hurt to have another tool in the metrology arsenal.

Search ebay or the like for "precision gage ball set". With which, you could soon determine what the T-P had utilized by trial.

But one of many uses, of course.

No experience with the Taft-Pierce, but 5/8" or 3/4" would be typical for some other brands. And you probably have some wiggle room on diameter so long as you use balls of matched diameter.

I'd guess the ones in mine are 5/8 - pretty far in there, but that is my guess. You would need the "cages", which are bar shaped, and the balls are surprisingly far apart, like 3" - again a guess.

I'd doubt there is a dozen balls in the pair of table runs

The balls DO need to be the correct size so the rack and pinion work like velvet - a good phrase for the whole machine

Have 100 NOS class 25 that size if you want to experiment with a small bunch.

MCritchley is correct. You need to clarify which bearings you are needing information on.

Some are indeed rollers. And be advised - They are not available.

Original -

roller.jpg

Manufactured-

TAFT-PEIRCE-ROLLER-BEARING-1.JPG

TAFT-PEIRCE-ROLLER-BEARING-4.JPG

TAFT-PEIRCE-ROLLER-BEARING-5.JPG

TAFT-PEIRCE-ROLLER-BEARING-6.JPG

TAFT-PEIRCE-ROLLER-BEARING-7.JPG

TAFT-PEIRCE-ROLLER-BEARING-9.JPG

TAFT-PEIRCE-ROLLER-BEARING-10.JPG

TAFT-PEIRCE-ROLLER-BEARING-11.JPG

TAFT-PEIRCE-ROLLER-BEARING-14.JPG

TAFT-PEIRCE-ROLLER-BEARING-15.JPG

TAFT-PEIRCE-ROLLER-BEARING-16.JPG

TAFT-PEIRCE-ROLLER-BEARING-17.JPG

Last edited:
I just got some documentation on the grinder. I thought I would share it. File sizes exceed what the forum allows. If you want copies of the patent drawings and the instruction and parts manuals PM me with your e-mail addresses.

I have recently solved part of my problem by reading parts lists and manuals. The saddle is supported on rollers. There is a central guide on the saddle that maintains perpendicularity. It consists of V rays and balls. The column is supported by 2 sets of V ways and 5/8" balls. The table uses one V-V guide with 1/2" balls. The opposite guide is V-Flat with 1/2" balls.

I am researching another problem now.When I attach an indicator to the wheelhead and traverse the saddle back to front I see about .040 drop in 5" of travel. It looks like I an going to have to strip the machine down to bare bones to locate the problem.

Last edited:
Yes, that is a design problem with this Taft Pierce grinder model. Because the Z hand wheel is on the saddle, and drives a square shaft through a square hole to drive the Z, the movement of the Y influences the Z by sliding on the square shaft. So when I move in Z, I back up to get into the slop range, then move in Y, then advance the Z again and back off. I have started to make an indicator holder that is on a rod to move in Z and not depend on the Z dial and Z system.

I have a TP 100 (5 1/2 x 10 1/2) with the ability to set the spindle on an angle. First thing i did was remove the table to clean, inspect, and properly lube the balls. They were all gummed up with grease, Should be oiled not greased.
My TP grinders balls measured .500. I recommend paying the $$$ for grade 25 or better on the old AFBMA chart.

This is a very old thread 2018 or so brought back to life by gearhead.

RE from post #14:
[I am researching another problem now. When I attach an indicator to the wheel head and traverse the saddle back to front I see about .040 drop in 5" of travel. It looks like I am going to have to strip the machine down to bare bones to locate the problem.]

When/if you find something this odd, it might be good to shim up a straight parallel and indicate the top
of the parallel. Indicate going long travel, and cross trave on top of the flat shimmed parallel.

Back