What's new
What's new

Taft Pierce No. 1 Surface grinder

Illinoyance

Stainless
I recently acquired a Taft Pierce no. 1 surface grinder. I have 3 questions:
What is the approximate weight of the machine?
The nameplate on the Excello spindle requires Velocite E oil. Anybody know the modern equivalent?
The entire column raises when raising the wheel head. Has anyone added gas springs or air cylinders to counterbalance all that weight?

I recently acquired a Taft Pierce no. 1 surface grinder. I have 3 questions:
What is the approximate weight of the machine?
The nameplate on the Excello spindle requires Velocite E oil. Anybody know the modern equivalent?
The entire column raises when raising the wheel head. Has anyone added gas springs or air cylinders to counterbalance all that weight?

I could be wrong, but ISTR it already HAS a counterbalance system in it.

Take a closer look.

I could be wrong, but ISTR it already HAS a counterbalance system in it.

Take a closer look.

There weren't any clunking noises when I moved it so I am pretty sure it doesn't use counterweights. The parts book is nearly useless for figuring out how it is assembled but I will look closer. Thanks.

There weren't any clunking noises when I moved it so I am pretty sure it doesn't use counterweights. The parts book is nearly useless for figuring out how it is assembled but I will look closer. Thanks.

Taft-Pierce were the sort of folk who would put precision bearings on a toilet-seat lid if it was to have their name on it, so.. I'd expect SOMETHING. Also that it would NOT "clunk"!

:)

As to weight, amazingly heavy (maybe near 1800), but then mine is an oldie with the cast iron base

As to up and down, I just know mine isn't moving smoothly until I fill the oil cup back there. Highly doubtful about the existence of counter weights - most certainly no evidence of such inside the base

It all comes down to this - its just plain wonderful and I'd never want any other - maybe just newer.

I'm old enough to have run NEW ones in Dept 38 Gauge Making at P&WA about 1967

As to weight, amazingly heavy (maybe near 1800), but then mine is an oldie with the cast iron base

As to up and down, I just know mine isn't moving smoothly until I fill the oil cup back there. Highly doubtful about the existence of counter weights - most certainly no evidence of such inside the base

It all comes down to this - its just plain wonderful and I'd never want any other - maybe just newer.

I'm old enough to have run NEW ones in Dept 38 Gauge Making at P&WA about 1967
Mine must be similar in age to yours. It has the cast iron base. Inside the base is the 1 shot oiler.

I should have asked about he wheel adapter. Is it 1" at the big end and 3" per foot taper or is it something special? I didn't find the TP on Sopko's web site.

I should have asked about he wheel adapter. Is it 1" at the big end and 3" per foot taper or is it something special? I didn't find the TP on Sopko's web site.

Per the cited article, Knut Oscar Lee inherited T-P. I dunno where K.O. Lee went, though. Wasn't my turn to watch them. UPDATE: Part of LeBlond, Ltd now..

Parker-Majestic, OTOH is still "around".. sort-of. CNC nowadays, but the new parent (since 2001) "seems to" still offer rebuild services, and they are not all that distant from me, go-fetch wise:

Parker Majestic - Precision Grinders

..and I *think* they can rebuild T-P spindles, too, if you need that. There are others who do as well.

Google will find several other PM threads on the T-P's besides the one I linked. Besides Fischer Spindle and Sopko, I found collets for my "Precise" at a third source. Can't recall whom. A search for "Precise" goods might find them faster than for Taft-Pierce, as Fischer has kept that line alive.

Lotta PM's smallholders, retirees, hobbyists who don't need large grinder work envelopes are running Taft-Pierce and a few have refurbished them.

I'm still talking myself out of a Parker-Majestic or a Gardner. Still-yet. Again. That's become a recurring annual exercise, several years running arredy.

Metro DC is not an area where it is easy to "send out" much to contract shops, grinding or anything else.

Standard hub, they are on Sopko's site, look at the Adaptors catalog index, they are on page 4-40
Catalog here says "weight approximately 1485 lbs", agree with John and think its closer to 1800 depending on accessories.

Pretty sure there are no counterweights--the column just moves straight up and down without much effort, not sure why it needs a gas or spring assist or counterbalance.

The main grinding spindle should be sealed and "permanently lubricated" with grease.
Are you referring to the Excello high speed grinding attachment spindle?

Standard hub, they are on Sopko's site, look at the Adaptors catalog index, they are on page 4-40
Catalog here says "weight approximately 1485 lbs", agree with John and think its closer to 1800 depending on accessories.

Pretty sure there are no counterweights--the column just moves straight up and down without much effort, not sure why it needs a gas or spring assist or counterbalance.

The main grinding spindle should be sealed and "permanently lubricated" with grease.
Are you referring to the Excello high speed grinding attachment spindle?

While Taft Pierce didn't need a counterbalance for the column as an octogenarian I am hoping to make things easier for myself.

While Taft Pierce didn't need a counterbalance for the column as an octogenarian I am hoping to make things easier for myself.

I've a Cantonese Mother-in-Law in her 89th year that won't eat even ONE kind of meat, let alone eight!

:D

But she could probably flip that Taft-Pierce upper right into her round-bottomed Wok and steam stir-fry it if someone but hinted it was a nutritious vegetable "high in available Iron".

Be wary of programmers carrying screwdrivers or Chinese carrying chopsticks.

Meanwhile.. rather than counter-balance OR gas-strutting, how about a cordless hand tool for gross-positioning, final adjust & feed still manual, as-shipped?

What would that need? A Gilmer belt, one hub with a socket or stub, other one smooth, belt itself attached?

Back