What's new
What's new

Theoretical average depth of cut during milling for Heat Propagation Simulation

lpea1

Plastic
I am new to this site so this would be my first thread, hope to get some valuable answers.

For a few day I've been trying to find some way to calculate the average depth of cut during milling (surface), the calculation to get the maximum depth of cut during milling is widely known. (Some of you may also know the formula of "average depth of cut=maximum depth of cut/2"; however, I haven't come up with the origin of this approximation other than sources like this:

Compr. Handbook of Mechanical Engineering - Dr. J. Srinivas - Google ブックス

In this regard, I came up with an mathematical approximation by simplifying the contact area into the segment of a circle and finding the average height from the chord to any point in the arc length(variables used: arc length, sagitta and chord). Even though that I know the arc length and the sagitta (maximum depth of cut) from a previous research, my approximation tends to crash if divided in several sections or changing the mathematical value of the tool radius for the real value of the tool radius (not very useful for heat propagation simulation I want to create).

As a consequence, I'd like to know if anyone knows about the origin of the formula I mentioned or an alternative way to calculate the average depth of cut during milling.

Hope this is the place to post this inquiry,
lpea1.

I am new to this site so this would be my first thread, hope to get some valuable answers.

For a few day I've been trying to find some way to calculate the average depth of cut during milling (surface), the calculation to get the maximum depth of cut during milling is widely known. (Some of you may also know the formula of "average depth of cut=maximum depth of cut/2"; however, I haven't come up with the origin of this approximation other than sources like this:

Compr. Handbook of Mechanical Engineering - Dr. J. Srinivas - Google ブックス

In this regard, I came up with an mathematical approximation by simplifying the contact area into the segment of a circle and finding the average height from the chord to any point in the arc length(variables used: arc length, sagitta and chord). Even though that I know the arc length and the sagitta (maximum depth of cut) from a previous research, my approximation tends to crash if divided in several sections or changing the mathematical value of the tool radius for the real value of the tool radius (not very useful for heat propagation simulation I want to create).

As a consequence, I'd like to know if anyone knows about the origin of the formula I mentioned or an alternative way to calculate the average depth of cut during milling.

Hope this is the place to post this inquiry,
lpea1.
end milling you have
depth of cut
width of cut
length cutter sticking out of tool holder
diameter of cutter
diameter of shank of cutter
material of cutting teeth
material of cutter shank that goes in tool holder
1.0000" diameter end mill you can easily have a 2.0" depth of cut if width of cut is less than 0.050" providing end mill is not too long a length or sticking out of tool holder too far
tool holder length short versuses a long tool holder over 18" long definitely has a effect on cutter vibration

This is posted in the abrasive section yet says milling?
If milling I think what the op is referring to is what most would call "average chip thickness", not "average depth of cut".
Bob

Back