What's new
What's new

Thompson Model B Surface Grinder (Manual X Axis?)

cschnorf

Plastic
I bought a Thompson Model B surface Grinder last week.
I've ran several surface grinders over the years, but not a Thompson.

Interestingly enough, this one doesn't seem to have a way to move the X Axis manually. Wanted to check with the folks here to see if they would tell me otherwise.

The big hand wheel on the front of the machine moves the grinding wheel head up and down.
The hand wheel up on top of the head moves the grinding wheel in and out (Y Axis)

Just seems odd that there isn't a way to manually move X Axis.

I was surprised when I went to move it out of this machine shop and I went to drain the hydraulic fluid and found out that it had 45 gallons in the reservoir (yikes) It was clean so I kept it.

Thanks,

Sure you can, just lift the that horizontal lever down there on the right side. My 6x18 Thompson has a hand wheel for the X axis, but it was not intended to use for grinding. It disengages when the hydraulic feed is actuated. ��

Only have 2 hand wheels

Sure you can, just lift the that horizontal lever down there on the right side. My 6x18 Thompson has a hand wheel for the X axis, but it was not intended to use for grinding. It disengages when the hydraulic feed is actuated. ��

I only have 2 hand wheels on this grinder.
One big one on the left side of the front.
One smaller one on top that moves Y-Axis.
Picture attached -

Attachments

• IMG_20180601_104128.jpg
    IMG_20180601_104128.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 837
That's about the smallest model B I've ever seen, mine's a 12x40 and I know they made them bigger. I think the F series all had a hand wheel for the X travel. Not all useful for actual grinding, geared way too low for that. There is probably a very fine screen filter for the hydraulic suction line. It should be accessible through one of the openings on the end or back side. You have to stick your hand down in the oil and unscrew it slow and carefully. Clean it with solvent and thread it back on. The muck will settle to the bottom of the tank, move slowly and don't stir it up.

Lol, I didn't think this was such a small machine when I had to rent a warehouse forklift to put it in my garage. It weighs around 4000 - 4500lbs. It has 8 x 24" permanent mag chuck.

This machine works fine, but it makes it difficult when indicating in a part on the X-Axis since it doesn't have manual X feed.
The big hand wheel on the front raises the head up and down (Z) and the the hand wheel up top moves the head in and out (Y)
But the only way to move the X Axix is to lift the far right lever and move it with hydraulics.
I thought maybe the big hand wheel was dual use somehow and you could move a lever or push a knob and it would work X also, but don't think so.

Back