What's new
What's new

Recommended diamond wheel(s) for grinding alumina ceramic (+99.6% pure)

jj80909

Aluminum
I have some 3/16" diameter alumina rods that I need to grind a straight chisel tip on one end and also accurately grind to over-all length.

I don't have much experience using a surface grinder, let alone grinding ceramic. From what I've read, I should use a diamond wheel with ample water-based coolant.

Does anyone here have experience grinding alumina? What diamond wheel(s) would you recommend?

Never Ground that but guess would try a 150 x 1/16 6" wet on the surface grinder with down feed only with parts set in a v block. A small tit will remain as the wheel takes a small radius.
Take care tightening such a wheel the are tough when grinding but not easy to handle
Shars makes some low priced diamond wheels (never tried Shars wheels)
Let us know how it goes. I wonder haw the part will be used?

Likely alumina rods will break like glass.

It comes in many flavors and normally called white ceramic.
Usually 400 grit diamond and lots of water as a in between.
It will load fast so a stick often is needed. Sometimes in the middle of cycle. There are machines that will stick or dress during the grind and make it easy but they are huge dollars.
The edge chips very easily so you need to keep the wheel very free.
A low angle sharp chisel tip is not so easy and you may have to consider roughing and then finishing with different wheels.
I'm not seeing a 150 as a finish wheel here no matter the orient.
Flood coolant. Lots of water.

What is a good edge and the inspection?
A micron, a few tenths, a thou or a handful. How good does it really need to be and where are you after the first use?
Bob

Something that works great for that is the Accufinish low speed grinder. Wet, with the coarser wheel, fine if you need a better finish. Make a fixture so they are all finished to the correct length.

Back