What's new
What's new

Tool and Cutter Grinder Identify...

michael.kitko

Cast Iron
This was posted in Facebook Marketplace and it just says Tool and Cutter Grinder. Now don't get me wrong, it does look like one and it is missing some things. My question, because I don't know these machines as well as some of you, but does anyone know what brand this one is? I'm kinda getting to the point where I am starting to look for one of these, because I could use one. Thank you in advance.
7b9d36635b1386dfab281e6f5c1a4764.jpg

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

No idea. but with the ask $400 one should go look to see the spindle is OK and if it would be of use for ones sharpening needs.

Big swing at work table might suggest radius cutters like concave and convex mill cutters.
Likely it could do end mill ends with adding some sort of work head.
tool bits with adding a vise.

likely to need a old time grinder hand to make it function...
Jury rig set-ups are not the talents of a new guy.

Looks like the wheel head travels like a radial arm saw with about 5" travel...,and wheel head can hand crank up and down , and across.

likely I would give $150 to $200 if I had space and a need for it...I don't.
I could make it useful if only for a one operation ..but it would have to have a *good spindle and be near free.

How'd you know the ask was $400? You been looking at it too? Anyways, I did ask for some more pics and I might go look at it if the price will move. Judging by that chair in the background, this thing is probably just in as bad of shape. I was gonna see if I couldn't get an estimated weight on it based on a manual and and then offer a little over scrap value. I am a little confused on why the c-channel was added to lift the motor, unless that was to get the motor out of the way.

Buck is right. That thing might be OK for a single operation, dedicated machine but if you want to do a fraction of what a tool and cutter grinder is capable of you will be forever hunting the attachments and such. There is one on E bay in Greene NY that appears to be complete for $500.00

[How knew $400] I looked it up (after your Post) on face book adds. I did not know FaceBooks adds existed Old chair may indicate an older guy who used the machine and so could tell much about it .. High motor yes to get it out of the way as it was an overhead belts machine perhaps from the 1920s.. Old iron often can be re scraped back to high precision. table is a little short for between centers reamers and the like .Very good to go see the machine and his other stuff.

*Don’t run that spindle dry if it has oil fill places., Might take a can of spindle oil.
Perhaps make a list of things you may wish to sharpen and ask how the machine might run them.

I could run ball nose end mills on it . but not run the end mill ODs easily.

The wheel head travel is with the OD of the grinding wheel so that has to be considered as to what work it might do.

[How knew $400] I looked it up on face book adds. I did not know FaceBooks adds existed Old chair may indicate an older guy who used the machine and so could tell much about it .. High motor yes to get it out of the way as it was an overhead belts machine perhaps from the 1920s.. Old iron often can be re scraped back to high precision. table is a little short for between centers reamers and the like .Very good to go see the machine and his other stuff.

*Don’t run that spindle dry, night take a can of spindle oil.
Perhaps make a list of things you may wish to sharpen and ask how the machine might run them.
Sir, I meant no disrespect. I was trying to make a sarcastic rib poking joke. It never comes across right in type. Sorry it came across snot-nosed.

I did not see any snoot nose...Glad to help if I can...
Buck

But did not get the joke?

Here is a joke...

When was a 45 most important.

When you pulled yous first...

Original Buck Joke from the 60s

Mr. Buck, it was the part about the looking at Facebook at the same post and you being from Michigan. Kinda ironic I guess. Now, I've thoroughly embarrassed myself. Honestly, I never would have found that thing if I was trying to look for it for someone else like you did. Hat tip to you sir.
Buck is right. That thing might be OK for a single operation, dedicated machine but if you want to do a fraction of what a tool and cutter grinder is capable of you will be forever hunting the attachments and such. There is one on E bay in Greene NY that appears to be complete for $500.00

I just found that ebay ad. That actually is a pretty good deal. Thank you.

Did not see the Greene NY machine...

If I am ever in town long to take some photos I have a ton of grinding stuff to sell.
But don't ask because Im on the road at 6:00AM Monday and likely be gone a week or so,

Found it Cinci #2 with a bunch of stuff..for $500. that is a deal IMHO.

Easy enough to make $500 in one day with that machine. If it runs Ok to good.

Last edited:
An R6 with important fixtures/attachments missing. There's a work head that rides on that T-slotted table, for starters.
Well, the owner sent a few more today along with the statement of I'm negotionable. Then I found another ad with other pictures of it. I don't want to sound like a, well ______ , if I were to make an offer, but I was literally going to say $50. It's missing lots of stuff: original motor, guards, wheels, base, finger, etc. It does have the workhead though, but I'm guessing no collets to go with it.

Now, would I feel bad modifying it to run a belt grinder on one side and setting the other side up with a wheel and running a Weldon air fixture, no, because it would need a lot of work and time to make it original.

Again, thanks for all the help.
a2748f09a95699ecf8ef43a5fde5ecd4.jpg

Did not see the Greene NY machine...

If I am ever in town long to take some photos I have a ton of grinding stuff to sell.
But don't ask because Im on the road at 6:00AM Monday and likely be gone a week or so,

Found it Cinci #2 with a bunch of stuff..for $500. that is a deal IMHO.

Easy enough to make $500 in one day with that machine. If it runs Ok to good.

Sold on June 29th, whoever got it did well...

Back