What's new
What's new

Tool and Cutter Grinder Recommendations

jhov

Cast Iron
I'm looking for a tool and cutter grinder for around $1500 to make small custom reamers and make simple form tools. I'm thinking a Deckel SO or clone would be sufficient to make D bits for this purpose, but the Deckel SO seems suited to only this task. I always prefer a machine more capable than not, even without an immediate need for it. So is there a better option out there within the budget? I see some T&C grinders on ebay that could fit the bill, but they never come with any tooling.

I figured the budget was too small for a real TC grinder. I'll go ahead with the Deckel S0.

Here find such a grinder.. I don't think it will be that easy and the grind does not look very good.
The Deckel SO Grinder: Grinding Your First Single Lip Cutter - YouTube
With practice likely you might make single lip specials for your own use but not likely good enough for retail./ custom cutters.
D bits are very easy having only one flute/edge... so likely the Deckel would make them.
A spin index added to a simple TC grinder makes a pretty good machine with adding a chuck to the spin index.
A Cincinnati #2 manual gives much good information on grinding cutters.

Such as this would run d bits and with a spin index much more.
COVEL / EXCEL NO. 6 TOOL & CUTTER GRINDER | eBay

cincinatti Tool grinder, cutter | eBay

I picked up a decent KO Lee tool and cutter grinder with some attachments for less than $500 here in NY state. They're out there but it might take a little time and looking...

Ted

Back