Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Truing a Deburring Wheel

I've got a Norton Bear-Tex series 1000 convolute deburring wheel. The product number is 66261055205. The arbor hole just isn't concentric with the wheel. It's got quite a bit of runout although measuring it is difficult because of the wheel surface. I'm running it on a 6" Baldor grinder. This wheel makes the grinder vibrate something horrible. I can put a regular grinding wheel on and it runs fine. If this were a grinding wheel I'd just dress it and be done with it.

I used an indicator with a think piece of shim stock to measure the TIR and it's about .013".

Is there some way to dress these types of wheels?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TravisR100 View Post
    I've got a Norton Bear-Tex series 1000 convolute deburring wheel. The product number is 66261055205. The arbor hole just isn't concentric with the wheel. It's got quite a bit of runout although measuring it is difficult because of the wheel surface. I'm running it on a 6" Baldor grinder. This wheel makes the grinder vibrate something horrible. I can put a regular grinding wheel on and it runs fine. If this were a grinding wheel I'd just dress it and be done with it.

I used an indicator with a think piece of shim stock to measure the TIR and it's about .013".

Is there some way to dress these types of wheels?
    just get a piece of steel that has a burr on it and press into the wheel while at speed. it will work itself out.

3. Likes cash liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Already tried using an old file. May just need to go at it longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The wheels with a 5/8" hole work fine, but the 1¼" bores always fit loose on those cheesy bushings. I make them from Al. or plastic. Keeps 'em true.
    And wear a respirator!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The wheel has a 1" bore and the grinder has a 1/2" shaft. I made a bushing so that it doesn't have any slop. It's just the outside of the wheel not being concentric with the bore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Believe it is standard practice to dress these wheels when new and throughout their service life.
    4"x24" hard backed sanding belts, 26-36grit aluminum oxide work well for this.
    Put a backer behind the belt (like a 1" dowel or round bar) so you hold form on the face of the wheel.
    Don't dwell on a particular spot on the belt- dress a little, then use a different section of the belt or you will just burn up the belt and rub off the abrasive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lathe toolholder with carbide insert or just use the heck out it on a piece of steel.
    Hand held air beltsanders like a dyna-file with a coarse belt also work.
    Bob

9. Likes Booze Daily, ballen liked this post