What's new
What's new

Truing a Deburring Wheel

TravisR100

Cast Iron
I've got a Norton Bear-Tex series 1000 convolute deburring wheel. The product number is 66261055205. The arbor hole just isn't concentric with the wheel. It's got quite a bit of runout although measuring it is difficult because of the wheel surface. I'm running it on a 6" Baldor grinder. This wheel makes the grinder vibrate something horrible. I can put a regular grinding wheel on and it runs fine. If this were a grinding wheel I'd just dress it and be done with it.

I used an indicator with a think piece of shim stock to measure the TIR and it's about .013".

Is there some way to dress these types of wheels?

I've got a Norton Bear-Tex series 1000 convolute deburring wheel. The product number is 66261055205. The arbor hole just isn't concentric with the wheel. It's got quite a bit of runout although measuring it is difficult because of the wheel surface. I'm running it on a 6" Baldor grinder. This wheel makes the grinder vibrate something horrible. I can put a regular grinding wheel on and it runs fine. If this were a grinding wheel I'd just dress it and be done with it.

I used an indicator with a think piece of shim stock to measure the TIR and it's about .013".

Is there some way to dress these types of wheels?

just get a piece of steel that has a burr on it and press into the wheel while at speed. it will work itself out.

The wheels with a 5/8" hole work fine, but the 1¼" bores always fit loose on those cheesy bushings. I make them from Al. or plastic. Keeps 'em true.
And wear a respirator!

The wheel has a 1" bore and the grinder has a 1/2" shaft. I made a bushing so that it doesn't have any slop. It's just the outside of the wheel not being concentric with the bore.

Believe it is standard practice to dress these wheels when new and throughout their service life.
4"x24" hard backed sanding belts, 26-36grit aluminum oxide work well for this.
Put a backer behind the belt (like a 1" dowel or round bar) so you hold form on the face of the wheel.
Don't dwell on a particular spot on the belt- dress a little, then use a different section of the belt or you will just burn up the belt and rub off the abrasive.

Back