What's new
What's new

Trunnion magnetic vise

M.B. Naegle

Diamond
I'm looking for a mag vise similar to this one to go on our 8"x20" surface grinder.

Hishiko Corporation:Tilting Permanent Magnetic Chuck

We do a number of ground angles (mostly straight edge blades with bolt holes and slots) which typically involve custom fixtures, or clamping the piece to a T-slot tilting table. I've seen the mag chucks that hinge on one side, but having the trunnion type like above seems like it would be faster to set and more ridged. So far I've only found them coming out of Asian supply companies. Anyone know of something more local? I wouldn't be against used also.

I first considered building a trunnion that a standard mag table could mount too that could work like a 4-axis or horizontal rotary table, but head-space would be an issue.

I have a really nice compound sine table, problem is height! don't rule out makeing your own till you have checked your real world under wheel clearance, my case i have to pull the magnetic chuck if i want to use the sine table. Drilling the ends of the table past the mag chuck o mount custom trunions and then making your own up would not be all that hard to do and you can do it so you can ofset it to one side of centre to maintain as much Z travel as possible.

Think the reasons the trunion style are not as common is you just naturally can't set them as precisely as a sine plate setup to any given angle.

I have a really nice compound sine table, problem is height! don't rule out makeing your own till you have checked your real world under wheel clearance, my case i have to pull the magnetic chuck if i want to use the sine table. Drilling the ends of the table past the mag chuck o mount custom trunions and then making your own up would not be all that hard to do and you can do it so you can ofset it to one side of centre to maintain as much Z travel as possible.

Think the reasons the trunion style are not as common is you just naturally can't set them as precisely as a sine plate setup to any given angle.

True with the accuracy differences. I think the sine style is more accurate but it strikes me as not as quick to set-up, while the Trunnion is the opposite. I'm sure a lot of it will just come down to the operators patience and avoiding assumptions.

If I were to build a Trunnion style vise, I think I could machine the ends of a standard vise to accept pivots. The vises I've seen pictures of don't look very complicated in that regard. I think if I was trying to be exact with one, I'd ignore the degree scale and tram off of a precision angle block held on the vise.

True with the accuracy differences. I think the sine style is more accurate but it strikes me as not as quick to set-up, while the Trunnion is the opposite. I'm sure a lot of it will just come down to the operators patience and avoiding assumptions.

If I were to build a Trunnion style vise, I think I could machine the ends of a standard vise to accept pivots. The vises I've seen pictures of don't look very complicated in that regard. I think if I was trying to be exact with one, I'd ignore the degree scale and tram off of a precision angle block held on the vise.

Nobody prevents you from mounting a sine bar and correct stack of blocks on the top of the trunnion and use an indicator to test for a 0-0 reading.

Paolo

Back