What's new
What's new

Trying Restore an Old Capco Surface Grinder- Help!!

Ancient_Axeman

Plastic
Hello All
I am based in the UK, went into engineering when I left school in 1985 for a couple of years in the Midlands. These days I am doing Treework and have engineering as a hobby to keep my brain working!

A while back I bought a couple of old machines for a cheap price and one of them was an old Capco [UK,Caplin Engineering] surface grinder [1940's-1960's] that had been bodged into a small vertical mill like people sometimes did in the 70's-80's.
There does seem to be a little information about the machines and so farI have not found a single photograph of the model I have which has the Z axis operated from under neath the knee area.
The machine would be perfect for me as its compact size is perfect. The problem I face is I have no drawings or photos of the spindle which is missing from the machine. From what I can gather it was one of the models that used to have a grinding wheel at the front and a tool steel cut off disc at the rear.
The old bearing seats both seem to face the rear so I am guessing that it wont take taper roller bearings. Having very little personal experience with surface grinder spindles and bearings would anyone have access to an alternative like the old hand operated Eagle, Superior or Herbert surface grinders who might possibly be able to take some photos or measurements for me to be able to get one made up?
Please feel free to let me know what you think, even if you have an idea in mind.
Thankyou in advance!

Attachments

• image(1).jpg
    image(1).jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 196
  • image(6).jpg
    image(6).jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 107
  • image(2).jpg
    image(2).jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 110
  • image(3).jpg
    image(3).jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 112
  • image(4).jpg
    image(4).jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 101
Do you wish to rebuild it to working function or to restore an antique. Are you wishing to make it a grinder or a mill?
You might concentrate on the travel movements and just mount a running spindle to the wheel head position.
likely you would need some kind of lathe to build a spindle on your own.

You might measure the spindle bore. then with the bearing area taped over for protecting it, just mount a steel plate with the top caps removed. On the plat mount some type of grinder. Yes so you have a functional machine to make parts. With using cut-off wheels and grinding wheels you can do a number of machining acts.
You might buy or make a cartridge spindle, a tool post grinder, perhaps even a bench grinder motor.

Hello All
I am based in the UK, went into engineering when I left school in 1985 for a couple of years in the Midlands. These days I am doing Treework and have engineering as a hobby to keep my brain working!

A while back I bought a couple of old machines for a cheap price and one of them was an old Capco [UK,Caplin Engineering] surface grinder [1940's-1960's] that had been bodged into a small vertical mill like people sometimes did in the 70's-80's.
There does seem to be a little information about the machines and so farI have not found a single photograph of the model I have which has the Z axis operated from under neath the knee area.
The machine would be perfect for me as its compact size is perfect. The problem I face is I have no drawings or photos of the spindle which is missing from the machine. From what I can gather it was one of the models that used to have a grinding wheel at the front and a tool steel cut off disc at the rear.
The old bearing seats both seem to face the rear so I am guessing that it wont take taper roller bearings. Having very little personal experience with surface grinder spindles and bearings would anyone have access to an alternative like the old hand operated Eagle, Superior or Herbert surface grinders who might possibly be able to take some photos or measurements for me to be able to get one made up?
Please feel free to let me know what you think, even if you have an idea in mind.
Thankyou in advance!

Did you see “this old tony” YouTube videos on a similar
machine? Not exactly your same problems...

Hello Tray
I would love some photos of the spindle and bearings. Some dimensions would be even better!!
Apologies for the delay responding the Website wouldnt take my password!!

Hi Brandenburger
Yes I have watched that and also scoured the internet and sadly what information I would like on the spindle would probably be contained in his 'elusive' Part 4 video that hasnt appeared yet!

Hello Michiganbuck
Thanks for the thoughts!
I would like to restore it as a surface grinder so I could sharpen my own woodchipper blades for work.
The dilemas I have vary between mounting the original drive location in the middle ish of the spindle aswell as which type of bearing the outers I think are 2 1/4" also to fit the bearings on the shaft and in the housing?
I agree any bearing would need protection from any abrashive dusts.
So far I am hoping for someone to have or have access to a similar machine like the hand operated Eagle, Superior or Herbert surface grinders and get some photos or dimensions off these people so as to get a spindle made up.
It may have a taper at the nose which would put making one then out of my reach as I only have an old 1943 Atlas 10 F!

Back