What's new
What's new

tungsten carbide or alumina abrasive for hardened steel?

I assume you mean with a dremel type tool. Alumina. General rule is soft cuts hard and hard cuts soft. By going to a carbide burr you are cutting not grinding (ya, I know grinding is a cutting operation, just doing the KISS thing here).

So, I would think you are not asking the correct question. I think you mean "What do I use to cut hardend steel with a rotary tool?"

And that is a function of SFPM, hardness of material, what you are trying to accomplish, ect.

Are you forming? polishing? How hard is Hard? Are you limited to Dremel stones?

I assume you mean with a dremel type tool. Alumina. General rule is soft cuts hard and hard cuts soft. By going to a carbide burr you are cutting not grinding (ya, I know grinding is a cutting operation, just doing the KISS thing here).

So, I would think you are not asking the correct question. I think you mean "What do I use to cut hardend steel with a rotary tool?"

And that is a function of SFPM, hardness of material, what you are trying to accomplish, ect.

Are you forming? polishing? How hard is Hard? Are you limited to Dremel stones?

Forming a small piece. Hard is about HSS hard, however hard that is. I'm interested in knowing which Dremel attachments to use. The carbide tool doesn't seem to remove the material as fast as abrasives.

I assume you mean hardened HSS, not annealed. In that case, stick with an abrasive wheel. A carbide burr will not do as well and will tend to chip the cutting edges.

I also tried it on a utility knife blade at 1000 S.F.P.M and it just does not cut while an aluminum oxide abrasive stone grinds it quite effortlessly.

The insert for carbide burr said it can be used on glass, fired ceramic, hardened steel etc.

Carbide is supposedly harder than aluminum oxide, yet is it practically ineffective on very hard steel?

Carbide CAN be effective on hard steel, but not usually as used in a hand grinder. It will cut the sharp edge of your knife but not usually against a flat or nearly flat surface relative to the burr. Stick with the abrasive wheel.

One of the few possible advantages with a carbide burr is if you need a point on your tool that's too sharp to get with an abrasive wheel.

Back