What's new
What's new

used harig super 618

lr harner

Aluminum
Due to covid im having to bid withought getting to put my hands on it. its from a community college and i have to wonder how bozoed it might be. i dont have a SG in my shop and woudl not mind rebuilding if i can get it at an ok price. back ground im a knife maker and might only need the SG a few times a year
if i can get it for a few hundred buck assuming the spindle is not totaled and the ways are mostly ok i can always rebuild later.
so what kind of student badness coudl have happened to it that woudl make it a no buy (im more less looking to spend around 500$ to get my foot in the door)

Local?
Rig. shipping?
A 618 comes apart from the base so possible to do it in a minvan or other.
If within driving distance I'd buy it for a few hundred bucks in a heartbeat.
Exspecially if from a community college use which will be low hours. The done wrong here by students will not hurt this machine.

local.
i have a truck. if i read right table comes off easy. a bar though the SG base and strapping lifts the bulk off the base and i coudl move in 3 part. does that sound right? there are 2 one a 618 with power mag chuck the other 612 no chuck so i ll have to see if one falles into the $ im willing to risk

Do not remove the table maybe block with a 4x4.
The lift holes are for a 1 inch OD pipe but second strap for balance front to back and of course wires. Motor easy on the back, chuck done to the control.
This a so super easy machine to move.
BTW it will have oil in the sump on the back side and wires to that oil pump.
In a open truck one could just leave it all intact without the hassle of removal from the base and strap or forklift the whole deal under.
Technically one should the block the table but.. it will live fine without.
One can literally throw this in the back of a truck with little or no tie downs and it will be happy with it's new home.

When I moved my Harig 618, I separated it from the base and placed a block of wood between the head and table and lowered it applying moderate pressure. Strapped everything down and made the several hundred mile trip in my pickup with no issues whatsoever. And, I did lift it using solid bars through the provided lift holes...Can't remember the diameter of the bars.

As far as being damaged by students, about the only thing I can think of that might make it not very usable for knifemaking would be a bent spindle, but that's not easy to do. If it has the quick change wheel adapter have them pull it and send a photo of the taper to make sure that's not damaged. Other than that, for knifemaking it doesn't matter if the machine is a little worn, you don't need to worry about making the knives perfectly flat.

yep most of the use will be post HT grinding folder blades before reaming the pivot holes. most guard and fittings are good enough sanded after i mill them flat first

Is it ball bearing, or teflon ways?

They are light, easy machines to move, certainly so if you bring a strong somewhat machine literate friend.
The less you take apart on a grinder, the less nuisance it is getting it back together "right".

I regret that being a light machine, there are a lot of unknow ways that less than knowledgeable, or careless persons could mess one up.
Bent handles (running into it with lift or moving other machines), balls or teflon ways, the tape/cable drive. If very good pictures are posted, you can probably ascertain the condition, though. I'd like description/type of ways and clear photos at each end of travels.

Difficult to believe you can't angle a look since it is local? Pleasant phone call & ask enough courteous Q's they throw up their hands and say "come in on Tuesday at 9 am & you can get a quick look"?

Generally speaking though, stuff like that is usually not seriously damaged or damage is usually shown, if they know what to look for.

smt

Back