What's new
What's new

Wet belt sander platen wear pattern

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
Just started refurbing a 4" x 36" wet belt sander and one step in the process was inspecting and resurfacing the platen. I decided to map it so I could show my son (age 9) how to check for wear. I added some paint so he could visualize the wear pattern a little easier. Pretty easy to see where most of the sanding was done, heh.

Wear map.

Green = high point
White = high to -.005"
Black = -.006" to -.010"
Blue = -.011" to -.015"
Pink. = -.016" to -.020"
Gray = -.021" to -.025"
Red = -.026" or more.

20201231_210356.jpg

Milling is following the pattern pretty well. Always a good sign. :D

20210101_144051.jpg

All finished. Surface plate says.... Flat within .0002" - more than good enough. Gonna add a replaceable pyroceram platen top next.

20210101_144110.jpg

Here's what the machine looks like. The U-shaped sheet metal bit is removable. Probably gonna make a rest for that end.

buffer4a.jpg

did you mill that? how did you hold it?

what are you going to glue on the glass with?

Milled it, then ground. I was able to hold it right in the vise for milling, and on the magnetic chuck for grinding. It's a Buehler belt grinder, and they had the platen already nicely squared and with a parallel bottom surface during original manufacturing. I just scraped the paint off and used those original surfaces.

I don't plan on gluing. I am going to install a screw-on lip at the tail end of the platen to act as a shoulder and 4 button head screws on the sides of the platen to keep the glass aligned. That way it can be easily replaced next time.

i like the idea. i was planning to glue mine with some flexible rtv and let it set on the surface plate, thus sparing myself grinding. but in the end you never get stuff really flat on these anyway, even if the platten is perfect.

Yeah, if I can just avoid big holes in the wear surface like the color map shows I'll be happy. I plan to mostly use mine for deburring, rough flattening and knife sharpening.

Back