What are some of the nicer radius/angle dressers?
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What are some of the nicer radius/angle dressers?

Looking to acquire a radius/angle dresser for my grinder, not real familiar with what is out there so I figured I'd run the question by some of the old grinding hands here. What are some of the better ones you've used, and what feature or features make them nicer to use?

My grinder is a Brown and Sharpe Micromaster Series 2, 8"×18" travels. I've got a Grind-All that can do radius dressing with an accessory, but don't have that accessory. Could be easily made I suppose. Anyone tried radius dressing with a Grind-All? How was that?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't know about a specif brand, but I've used this style and they work really well if you keep them cleaned so the slides work smoothly. I think these cover most of the functions as you can do angles with the slide, and a radius to angle as well.

Precise Radius and Angle Dresser - RAD - Penn Tool Co., Inc

Don't forget to get some small diamonds if you are going to do small radii.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My grinding guy insisted I get him a J&S dresser - Wheel Dressers

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought this was also used as a dresser:
    The Newbould Indexer - Imperial Newbould, Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've used several and Herman Schmidt is my favorite. Both Kuhn and narrow wheel . Nothing I've ever tried comes close to the narrow wheel dresser for thin wheels. Pricey, but I've had them for over 25 years.
    Grinding Workholding | Vises, Chucks, Sine Plates, Squaring Blocks | Hermann Schmidt
    NWD Narrow Wheel Dresser - saves time - YouTube

6. Likes AD Design liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    Looking to acquire a radius/angle dresser for my grinder, not real familiar with what is out there so I figured I'd run the question by some of the old grinding hands here. What are some of the better ones you've used, and what feature or features make them nicer to use?

My grinder is a Brown and Sharpe Micromaster Series 2, 8"×18" travels. I've got a Grind-All that can do radius dressing with an accessory, but don't have that accessory. Could be easily made I suppose. Anyone tried radius dressing with a Grind-All? How was that?
    We make the The Clearview© Radi-Angle Form Dresser. Not the cheapest but it is all made in house here. We also do all the repairs and reworks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last work was very common. could run a radius or dress a straight line angle.

Last World Wheel Radius Dresser Model B WITH CASE | eBay

ORIGINAL LAST WORD WHEEL DRESSER by Suburban Tool, Inc.

9. Likes Zach201 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the way the J&S Fluidmotion works, but have to totally dismount the wheel guard (not just open it up) on my current SG to use it. So I've gone over to the type that rotates around a horizontal axis instead of a vertical axis.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    My grinding guy insisted I get him a J&S dresser - Wheel Dressers
    I have that J&S but it is on a keyed riser so to key into a TC grinder table. Guess it could be taken off the riser and so just set on a chick. I will take a photo and try to post it.

Off the riser it looks just like that photo.

The lever tilts the head to dress and angle

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sfriedberg View Post
    I like the way the J&S Fluidmotion works, but have to totally dismount the wheel guard (not just open it up) on my current SG to use it. So I've gone over to the type that rotates around a horizontal axis instead of a vertical axis.
    I always wondered why the wheel guard on my grinder was mounted on a plain round diameter so it could be rotated - that is probably exactly why.

Anybody know of a video that shows the J&S in action? Can't seem to find one on Youtube. I was aware of the Last Word, having seen it on Suburban Tool videos. I'll have a look at the others, thanks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sfriedberg View Post
    Good point the J&S dresses at horizontal center line... and the last word type at the bottom. Each has its advantages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

J&S offers a bracket to work under the wheel. I haven't used one.

undr_whl_fxtr.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anybody know of a video that shows the J&S in action? Can't seem to find one on Youtube. I was aware of the Last Word, having seen it on Suburban Tool videos. I'll have a look at the others, thanks.
    I see this, but it only shows a radius being dressed
    Cutting a radius on a grinding wheel - YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the J&S.. how does $60 plus postage sound.
    Not sure if I have diamond for it.
    120_0269.jpg
    Last edited by michiganbuck; 08-11-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've always preferred the Herman Schmidt/Kuhn dresser for radii. Low profile, easy/accurate to set, and you can watch through the center axis for alignment. Angle can be set with a sine bar. Not as good for complex/multiple form dressing but I've seldom needed that in one dress. Seems to be preferred by most die makers in Chicago too during the 80's/90's. Guess it depends on what you want it to do like any other tool.

18. Likes BuffDan, jz814 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buck, after thinking about it I now actually wonder that I can even use that vertical style dresser without a table lock. Near as I can tell the machine doesn't have one unless I'm just totally missing it somehow.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the last word type is most practical, but even that needs a table stop. you just set your stop and travel your long travel to it, so stopping in the go direction. Your cross dial number noted at the front wheel face touch or the rear wheel face touch. often you skim dress the face that intersects the radius, or not if not a fussy job.
    Not a bad idea to have a drop in parallel to drop before your stop so you done need to find that same place, at wheel long way wheel center. your cross place good to note on your pad.

The last word type you set a position above or below the center gage post for concave or convex. and the feed to dress is the down feed, very easy to use. the J&S you can micrometer over using your second class micrometers.

So nice about a TC grinder is the you have a fine adjusting long travel stop... Not a bad idea to fab one for a surface grinder, just a drop in block with a screw that would bump your stop post and stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buck, after thinking about it I now actually wonder that I can even use that vertical style dresser without a table lock. Near as I can tell the machine doesn't have one unless I'm just totally missing it somehow.

And you just hit why the under style is better.
    No matter the side feed fine adjust stops SGs do best at up/down and in/out.
    On either centering the diamond point on the wheel center-line and staying there is a must. if picky about angles and rad shape and checking at 100x .010 off on a 6 inch wheel is a problem.
    The best are the mounts on the spindle itself but these expensive and now rare.
    I tossed five of these in the dumpster since they do not work on diamond wheels but came on Micromasters I bought, ....wish I had saved one. This that kick yourself forever type thing.
    Later I would learn that you can form a diamond wheel with a molly stick in place of a dressing diamond using such for touch up.

The process is just a swing to two fixed sides. The diamond point has to be in the right location to the swing pivot (IE the radius you want.)
    Confusing at first but no different than swing grinding a radius on a tool end.
    Bob

22. Likes eKretz, Zach201 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I also have a Tracaform dresser, with that you make a template then with following a tracer bar to that template you dress the wheel. Good for grinding a form on the part. I Cant find one on the internet to show what it looks like,

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    I also have a Tracaform dresser, with that you make a template then with following a tracer bar to that template you dress the wheel. Good for grinding a form on the part. I Cant find one on the internet to show what it looks like,
    This like an Engis diaform, sort of a pantograph type deal?. One to one direct or multiplied/scaled on the master form?
    Bob