What's new
What's new

What type of centers do OD grinders prefer?

Bluechipx

Hot Rolled
I've got a brass tube 22" long, 2" in dia with a 1.5" inch hole through the center. It will be turned .008" undersize on the OD, hard chromed and ground back to 2.000". What degree is preferable on the ID of the tube for centers? Also, how much width of chamfer is desireable, just a small width center cut or a large one?

I've got a brass tube 22" long, 2" in dia with a 1.5" inch hole through the center. It will be turned .008" undersize on the OD, hard chromed and ground back to 2.000". What degree is preferable on the ID of the tube for centers? Also, how much width of chamfer is desireable, just a small width center cut or a large one?
Personally, I would probably plug the tube and use normal lathe-size centers. I always used carbide-tipped centers in the grinder, and the carbide doesn't usually go to 1 1/2".

Also you can use those radiussed center drills, they work nicely for grinding. About size, same as if you were turning it in a lathe. Not too big, not too small :)

Remember that you're going to have to put a drive dog on the end, if you make the plug stick out on one end you can kill two innocent little birdies with one rock.

If you know who's going to do the grinding ask them. They'll tell you what they prefer or need.

Back