What's new
What's new

Where to find Taft Peirce #1 S/G parts

rcn11thacr

Aluminum
Hi,

Just picked up this grinder yesterday and its only tag is DR-71592, which i presume the serial number? I lucked into this one simply because i got invited into the guys shop and he lives only a few blocks from the house. I saw the grinder and mentioned that i always wanted one and i was in luck since he said he was selling it as he had almost never used it and knew very little about it. Anyway. It has been converted to run off 220 with a VFD, came with a few extra wheels and seems to run fine. The bijur oiler doesn't work, so who knows when it saw oil last, but everything seems overall in pretty decent shape. I gave 8 bills for it and it came with a nice roller setup, so i can easily move it around the shop.

Since the oiler is on the fritz I'm sure maintenance has not been a high priority, so i want to do the basic things that should be done. Problem is I've never owned one before, so i could use some guidance. What parts should i be ready to change? Where are the regular areas that i need to maintain? I know i cant get parts from the company, so where can i get replacement things such as ball bearings and filters for the oiler? A recommendation on which types of wheels i should keep on hand would be appreciated also.

I'm not planning to go in depth unless i find a problem, just want to know how to check the machine out and maintain it. Any input is appreciated.

Also, This grinder did not come with any type of a diamond shaper for the wheels (another indicator that the guy was serious that he didn't know how to use it). What do you recommend i buy for facing the wheels on this machine? If anyone has a used tool (that i can replace the diamond) for doing angles or thin wheels, i am all ears..

Serial is right up front, stamped into machined cast iron

Can email manual if you want to private message that address - with TP Grinder in subject line

A number of years ago I bought 4 TP #1's all needing some TLC. No two were alike and four questionable machines and a pile of spares became three very good machines. ALL needed to come apart for a good cleaning. One had slideway bearings for the saddle, one balls and one rollers.

Balls are easy to replace. Rollers were not standard "off the shelf" and those had to be made from hardened gage pins. Table feed gears had to be made. That said, nothing was really difficult or complex.

I've not attempted a spindle rebuild, nor have I made tooling to extract the spindle from the tilting block; it's not a casual fit.

Johnoder, thanks for the offer. I hit the net after posting this and found a copy. So I have most of my answers. Thank you for your offer.

Cyclo, Doug into the table this afternoon and the balls look great. I don’t see any reason to change them.

Can anyone recommend what type of diamond tool to buy for shaping the wheels? Right now all I’m planning on is to have a flat wheel, so a simple type of base may work? Not sure about this so comments are welcome.

If you don't plan on doing any form grinding then a simple diamond nib stuck down appropriately to a mag chuck is just dandy. IF you have a tilt head then you are going to need to be able dress the side of the wheel (grinding into a sharp corner. And that can be as easy as flipping the nib (in it's holder") up on it's side.

Form grinding then maybe look for a J&S "Fluidmotion" or similar.

What you are going to want is some sort of coolant, maybe just a simple mist system. And dust management, perhaps a shop vac with better than average filters

The only thing I don't really like on the TP is the locked dials. Calculator, note pad and sharpie are a must; unless you fit a DRO.

WHEEL - lots to learn about them. Here is an old USA one by a famous maker - its 46 grit aluminum oxide with a G hardness - somewhat soft to grind hardened steel . Mild steel - not hard - would like a harder wheel

20200901_154135.jpg

Do yourself a favor - learn how to RING a wheel before you ever put one on the TP. This one RINGS even after I dropped it just now :)

DIAMONDS Get a good one - hold it in any sort of steel block (with a hole and a set screw of course) that will be "grabable" by your magnet

They DRESS the wheel - not much SHAPING going on

You can saw them off if you don't like the length

Hand Diamond Dresser, Made in USA, 7/16" Shank Diameter, 1 Carat - 58-685-9 - Penn Tool Co., Inc

Can anyone recommend what type of diamond tool to buy for shaping the wheels? Right now all I’m planning on is to have a flat wheel, so a simple type of base may work? Not sure about this so comments are welcome.

Here is a typical block - with a long ago used up diamond installed

Set screw far side out of sight

Puzzle for you...

Why is the hole tilted? (hint - has to do with maintaining point of diamond as it wears)

20200901_190830.jpg

Back