What's new
What's new

Who & how much to rebuild magnetic chuck on Reid surface grinder?

greenbuggy

Stainless
Bidding on a nearby Reid 618P surface grinder. I don't *need* it, and right now the bid price will net me a healthy chunk of change if I scrap it.

..BUT
I'd love to have a functional surface grinder. The ad claims this one has a couple mechanical issues that I'm sure I can sort out with the hydraulic system, and that the magnetic chuck is burnt out. Now I don't know who assessed that, it could be the controller for all I know (at least, before I win the auction and am able to put a DMM on the unit to verify so myself)

If its actually the chuck thats toast, who rebuilds them and how much does it typically cost?

I'm assuming by the model that its got a 6x18" chuck.

Years ago, I had an old L W chuck that was weak in the center. Asked the local motor repair shop if they could fix it. Sure, but a new one would be cheaper. Tha'ts all I needed to hear.

I know this has been debated here in the past. If it is a permanent magnet type chuck, they one with a lever, I would toss it and get a new one.

I know some guys here have taken them apart and fixed them.

We have tried this years ago but the amount of time that goes into it is just not worth it for me.

Had an 18" X 48" done last year.

The controller Walker brnad I think $1500

Chuck rebuilt rewire, and insulated with what ever that is that's used in electric motor windings $3500

You will need to regrind once it is all back in place of course.

Was done by a member here MagnetMaker I think it was, I can look into it if you need to go that route.

He did a fine job and was right there at about the same price as another place I called in the NE.
We shipped it there and in a couple weeks I think it was the chuck was sent back ready to mount up.

For a prospective here...the same size chuck from Walker was quoted at $18000. That is not an extra zero typo.

Welp, I won it. $41, plus some beer for a friend with a bobcat that's going to help me load it out. IronReb, I'd be interested if you can look up whoever did the chuck rebuild for you.

Congrats on winning that so cheaply. I was watching those auctions in Ames and intended to bid on that SG but forgot until it was just over. You're probably the guy who sniped those two hardness testers from me aren't you? I was watching those close but decided not to raise my bid.

I sent you a PM.

Just a thought. Could you Megger a electro-magnetic chuck the way you do a motor to check its condition?

I would think so, but depending on the amount/quality of insulating potting compound between the magnet body and electromagnet it may not tell you anything useful....or at least, you would probably also need to know what the resistance in the electromagnet is and what its supposed to be.

Congrats on winning that so cheaply. I was watching those auctions in Ames and intended to bid on that SG but forgot until it was just over. You're probably the guy who sniped those two hardness testers from me aren't you? I was watching those close but decided not to raise my bid.

Nope, didn't bid on them. No real need for a hardness tester, much less two of em.

Just a thought. Could you Megger a electro-magnetic chuck the way you do a motor to check its condition?

yes you can megger them, but as green buggy said you need to know what the reading would be depending on the size of the chuck. When we check them we get specs from the mfg.

Back