Why is the back of the grinder tailstock quill tapered like this?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Why is the back of the grinder tailstock quill tapered like this?

My cylindrical grinder's tailstock came with this taper on the back of the quill. I thought it was deliberate, but am starting to think it was done to cover up grinding dings/crash marks. Is that right?

I don't think it's a good idea, because it lets grit under the wiper seal when fully retracted. Should I make a new quill that doesn't have this problem? Or is there a reason for this?

Last edited by ballen; 06-07-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was a crash or the operator needed a little more room at the reverse of the travel when he was grinding. I've seen "shortcuts" like this before when the operator doesn't own the machine.

3. Likes ballen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    Should I make a new quill that doesn't have this problem?
    Probably faster and cheaper than all-new to just turn it to a reduced diameter and shrink a sleeve over it. Might even be a stock metric bearing OD such that a store-bought repair sleeve could be utilized?

Or you could make a heavier-wall one with the machinery you already own...

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Probably faster and cheaper than all-new to just turn it to a reduced diameter
    That's problematic because the taper on the rear has already intruded into the wall of the MT2 socket, so there is not enough meat. Also, the steel is hardened which means that turning it with CBN inserts or grinding it will distort the shape. Not good because it's a zero-clearance fit in the barrel.

shrink a sleeve over it. Might even be a stock metric bearing OD such that a store-bought repair sleeve could be utilized? Or you could make a heavier-wall one with the machinery you already own...
    Making a replacement myself is fairly easy, since I can grind the OD to the right size.

If I do this I will probably make a hardened one. Any advice about the type of steel and hardening? This will fit into my little oven so materials that would allow me to DIY would be preferred.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    .. Any advice about the type of steel and hardening? This will fit into my little oven so materials that would allow me to DIY would be preferred.
    So long as your oven isn't so "little" as to risk introducing warpage to the body?

I doubt it will be all that critical.

If you want to gold-plate a Lily, OTOH, (as we know you well may..!) look into "Quench-Polish-Quench" nitriding...

That'll keep you out of the pubs and brothels for a while..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it does not hurt anything unless you need full pull back for a long part. Agree it might be a clean - up for a crash or some odd part that needed the notch for clearance. You might consider a metal to metal adhesive... and the grind to be flush.
    Agree I don’t how good they are / and you would not like a chuck falling into harms way.
    You might run a test before trying such on your machine.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LORD-FUS-...10090301008005

Weld Mount - Adhesive Fastening System
    Last edited by michiganbuck; 06-08-2019 at 08:30 PM.