would sharpening mill bits be profitable? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Main View Post
    my machine can do any angle, and yes i know what an end mill is called. This is a real decent rig. between the themac attatchement and the form grinder unit, it will do any angle or helix left or right. even if i never do any sharpening for profit i can do mine. i can also use the rig for a surface grinder. I bought a digital level, and i will use it to set angles on the grinder. i am going to machine a 5c angle set onto a 5 inch chuck adaptor i have, which is currently MT5. Then i will be able to index massive mills and helix cutters. FWIW i also have a Unimat. I can mount it on the surface plate and address it with the die grinder collet set which came with the Themac unit. i can make very tiny gearsets. and if i never use it. well i can if i want.
    If you know what end mills are called then why did you call it a "bit"? You have "Home Shop Harry" written all over you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You know i am just an amateur. So what. At least i am not a rude asshole. dont bother my posts anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
    If you know what end mills are called then why did you call it a "bit"? You have "Home Shop Harry" written all over you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
    I believe his name is Gary not Harry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a K O Lee T & C grinder that I've used with a Denver air spindle my dad bought years ago and sharpen over 150 HSS end mills in the 3/8" to 1-1/2" diameter range. Just ground the flutes, didn't sharpen any ends, most were still okay. Most of the sharpening I did over 20 years ago. I don't think I've even used half dozen of those re-sharps since then. Most of them I've gave away to people I know to use in their home shops. I have such a stock pile of new stuff I've bought up on the net in the past few years that I don't have a need to use them. Don't do a lot of work in my shop now that things have been slow for me. I don't consider my shop a home shop even though it's in my garage! Sharpening one or two for something specific or grind a special angle cutter, that's one thing. But to do end mill sharpening in general for a living, you will go broke! My two bits worth! Ken

Edit: Now days, most everyone are running coated carbide end mills. Nasty stuff to grind on if you don't have proper vacuum and coolant to control dust. Carbide dust is very bad for your lungs! What little I've ground on, I hate it! And I lack the proper equipment for dust control other than a face mask, it only filters so much, rest goes to your lungs.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i bought this all way below market, so i cant be harmed. If all else fails i will have another toy. I called 3 machine shops locally and they all send tooling out to be sharpened, so i know i can get those accounts. beyond that, well it sounds pretty thin. I could probably do better selling the stones maybe. we will see. My initial plan was to be able to make gears for my clock project without major setup on my Index.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

i bought this all way below market, so i cant be harmed. If all else fails i will have another toy. I called 3 machine shops locally and they all send tooling out to be sharpened, so i know i can get those accounts. beyond that, well it sounds pretty thin. I could probably do better selling the stones maybe. we will see. My initial plan was to be able to make gears for my clock project without major setup on my Index.
    "I know I can get those accounts" ???

First batch you doo for them may change that.

Price is NOT everything sir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know about most shops, but I don't like to mess with end mills that have had the diameter reduced. I want to work with the nominal diameter and not have to worry about changing offsets or reprogramming.

I do, on occasion, acquire some reground end mills. However, in this case, the diameters are untouched. The dull end has been cut off and reground with radius corners. It is a new end mill that is a little shorter. These end mills were reground on a CNC tool and cutter grinder, inspected, and repackaged in new containers with an appropriate label.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i bought this all way below market, so i cant be harmed. If all else fails i will have another toy. I called 3 machine shops locally and they all send tooling out to be sharpened, so i know i can get those accounts.

Then do it and see how it goes, rather than having us speculate. Obviously you know enough that you are sure you can convince them to send the work to you. If you are sure that you can get the work, then you already know what the profitability would be, since you may have to drop the price in order to get the customer to switch vendors.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post

I'm wondering if you can't make an entirely new, and better, cutter on the Walter faster than you can resharp an existing dull tool ?
    This is a good thing to wonder. This place is right down the street from me within walking distance of my home:

Midwest Cutting Tools - Carbide End Mills, Industrial Brushes

They seem to have everything and can make customs in about a day. The shop has about a dozen CNC carbide grinders humming away. I think the throughput bottle neck is the customer phone call/interface. More people in the office on the phone than in the shop. They’ve resharpened carbide for me for some amazingly cheap price like $10. I would not want to compete with these guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i bought this all way below market, so i cant be harmed. If all else fails i will have another toy.
    Like you, over the past 25 years or so was able to stock up on grinding/sharpening equipment for pennies. Can't imagine doing it as a production shop for resharps for other shops - the reason this equipment is so cheap (with a little research and the right auctions) is that no one except hobbiest and small niche shops needs it anymore, or can make money with it. You probably paid right at market prices. Your competition, and future buyer of the fixtures will be that same cohort. So sometimes it might bring "a lot" or money if in really good shape and someone in the niche needs it. But mostly close to what you paid especially if sold by your heirs at a local estate sale.

However, with this equipment, small shops like ours can often facilitate tooling and complex work inexpensively that could not be attained otherwise or without much greater cost. I make custom tooling, hardware, & tooling to make hardware or other tooling, for high end users including myself in mostly woodworking apps. Whatever your chosen industry, use the equipment & improve capabilities in that vein & your opportunities will expand. To me it is also much more interesting than, say, knocking out 50 ea 1/2" EM resharps.

As others noted, avoid carbide unless you don't value your health. Or are prepared for the time, expense, and procedures to deal with it safely. Fortunately for me, woodworking apps are better served by stellite in most cases that indicate brazed tooling/teeth.

smt

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

soounds like the best plan is to smash this stuff and sell it for scrap

downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Subtext of most posts were to the effect of "use tools to make a positive difference in your life." More direct observations included WTTE: use them for exploration to increase your personal capabilities; go slow & identify financial complications that could be a factor in some geographic areas for some people, before committing to a business model based on random/given set of tools.

Obviously, interpretation of the above could inspire various initiatives based on personal assessment.

smt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do not think so.
    Plenty in the manual resharp world where you can outdo the big $650,00 cncs and make them look like poop sitting on the curb.
    Bob