What's new
What's new

CMM Fixturing

ken clark

Plastic
My company is looking into purchasing a 3D printer primarily for creating fixturing for our DCC CMM. Has anyone here tried 3D printing CMM fixturing? Are ABS and/or PLA good filaments in regards to creating hard CMM fixturing for metal parts? Most important what are your recommendations as to which would be the best 3D printer for this application? Thanks guys.

We make conventional fixturing for CMM and vision systems. We find most of the time customers don't want to spend the money on custom fixturing. They think they can get something custom made for the same price as the off the shelf tooling available to build your own. Very few applications I have seen really require custom fixturing. High production (multi cavity molds) that require repeated measurements quickly on parts from each cavity, and you need the space savings of custom fixturing is one example. General measurement on a variety of different parts, the generic stuff usually will do the trick. Doesn't really answer your question, but my 2 cents.

My company is looking into purchasing a 3D printer primarily for creating fixturing for our DCC CMM. Has anyone here tried 3D printing CMM fixturing? Are ABS and/or PLA good filaments in regards to creating hard CMM fixturing for metal parts? Most important what are your recommendations as to which would be the best 3D printer for this application? Thanks guys.

I can't say which printer would be best, but I use ABS molds/fixtures off the printer all the time for various things. I've made some fixture for holding parts are the CMM, depending on what you need/want I've had to do some second op machining only because my printer is outdated (2009) and doesn't produce a very good finish on certain features.

Back